Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1928 Western Wheeled Road Grader

Thomas Broadbent ยท 2017-02-07 12:27

Found a 1928 western wheeled road grader, still has red paint and still works. I cant find another one like it. Do I have the only one?

Replies25
  1. #1Planedriver2017-02-07 13:10

    Picture??

  2. #2Delmer2017-02-07 14:21

    No, I'll bet there are many around that still work and are mostly original. That doesn't mean they have their pictures online. They're a pretty functional piece of equipment that's expensive to replace, so they tend to stick around longer than some equipment.

  3. #3ovrszd2017-02-07 15:04

    Welcome to HEF. I'd like to see a picture as well.

  4. #4Thomas Broadbent2017-02-07 15:39

    Have lots of pics, still trying to figure out how to post them

  5. #5ovrszd2017-02-07 17:08

    1. Put cursor in reply block and type message if needed. 2. Lower right corner, click on blue "Upload a File" icon. 3. Pick file or picture, click "open" at bottom of screen. 4. Wait for pic to load, the click on blue "thumbnail" or "Full Image". I used full image. 5. Click blue "Post Reply" at bottom of post.

  6. #6ovrszd2017-02-07 17:11

    Dang it, knew I'd forget something. Size your pics less than 1 MB. Mine above is 1280x720 pixels.

  7. #7Thomas Broadbent2017-02-07 21:30

    Thanks man! by the way nice blade, i got the pic

  8. #8Thomas Broadbent2017-02-08 00:29
  9. #9Thomas Broadbent2017-02-08 00:49

    still figuring out the pic upload thing not to good hope it worked out

  10. #10Thomas Broadbent2017-02-08 00:58
  11. #11ovrszd2017-02-08 09:50

    Now you got it figured out!!!! Very cool machine!!!! First one I've ever saw. Is your goal to get it running??? Post more pics and keep us informed of any work you do on this machine!!!! Nice find!!!!

  12. #12Thomas Broadbent2017-02-08 10:18

    Yes I am working on making it run. Spent lots and lots of hours cleaning dirt and rust since these photos. All the controls function, motor trans and diff rotate. I need to rebuild the starter, gen and wiring for it to run. Thanks for the compliment and the help, I am a mechanic buy trade, so this internet thing is ruff!!!

  13. #13Thomas Broadbent2017-02-08 10:24
  14. #14ovrszd2017-02-08 18:34

    The blade lift mechanism is unusual. I've saw that on "scissor" automotive jacks, but never on a grader!!!! We'll take all the pics you want to post. Don't worry about the Internet learning curve. None of us knew how to do it the first time either!!!!

  15. #15ovrszd2017-02-08 18:37

    Is the adjuster up and to the right of the steering wheel for the scarifier?? Looks like maybe it should have a "wheel" and it's broken? Very unusual. My ole Cat has the bracketry for a scarifier. I'd love to find one to add to it.

  16. #16Thomas Broadbent2017-02-09 00:05

    Yes it is for a scarifier and the steering wheel is broken but still goes up and down, just don't have the teeth. I also thought the scissor was different it has original paint. I believe it was more efficient but companies went to hydro in 1929-30. love the feed back, very inspiring, thanks

  17. #17ovrszd2017-02-09 10:27

    CAT was still building mechanical lift graders well into the 1970s. Doesn't appear that my old Grader ever had a scarifier. But it was built with the attachment points included on the front stem.

  18. #18Delmer2017-02-09 10:45

    I was assuming it was a pull type grader in my first comment. I doubt there's many like yours left in that good of shape. Teeth aren't that hard to weld back on to a gear, then shape with a grinder. Probably plenty of videos to show how to do it if you want to go that route.

  19. #19Thomas Broadbent2017-02-09 11:52

    Thanks, it's nice to find other guys that are into this stuff. None of my friends even know what a grader does.

  20. #20Thomas Broadbent2017-02-09 12:23

    I put some pics up, don't know if they made it. what do you think

  21. #21Thomas Broadbent2017-02-09 12:27

    What type of oil should I use for the steering box (sun gear style) / for the engine and trans (model aa 1928) and for the rear diff mack

  22. #22ovrszd2017-02-09 15:16

    We're all waiting for the video of the first run!!!!

  23. #23ovrszd2017-02-09 15:20

    I'm sure you can't use any type of oil that it's not seen before, cept maybe synthetic!!!! I'd use simple 80-90W gear oil in the trans and rear diff. On the engine, I might consider non-detergent. If that's what it's ran all it's life and you switch to a high detergent oil it may drink it like water..... If you can see inside the engine thru the fill cap for example, and it looks to be completely sludged up, it's had non-detergent.

  24. #24Thomas Broadbent2017-02-09 21:56

    I can see the crank threw the oil fill tube, looks good, drained oil added 30 w oil and marvel mist in spark plug holes. Found lots of sludge in the trans and diff. Flushed diff, removed trans shifter and side plate to clean, then re installed. shifts threw all 4 plus revers and diff turns free. I have 10w30 in both for now. 80-90 sounds good to me, thanks

  25. #25Graderfan19812017-02-12 08:16

    I like to see pictures from those old graders, many thanks for sharing the photos