Hello, I am removing the oil pan from a 1956 Caterpillar D2. I want to replace the oil pan gasket. The part numbers are 3H8279 and 3H8280. But there are not results for these numbers. Is there a way to find these parts? Thank you, John
Those two numbers are replaced by one single Part Number - 7H2415, Gasket, Oil Pan.
you will also need 5h5276 not sure of last number 5th one up from bottom of left column it is flywheel housing gasket When we would change pan in tractor we would put gasket up against pan cut off what was needed of flywheel housing gasket for oil pan. and use a lot of number 2 permotex at the joint
Not sure if last digit is a 6 or an 8. 5H5276 gasket (+ 5H6792 gasket) is replaced by one Part Number - 7H2371. 5H5278 gasket is shown as discontinued.
Thank you both for the information. I will update the thread with photos later...
The oil pan and pump are removed. But I need help finding two more gaskets.
The part numbers are 4F3799 and 4F3800. There are results for these part numbers.
I need to replace the brass shear pin too. The part number is L-1027 but there are no results. May you help me find the part? Thank you, John
try 0l1027 for a part number
There is a part but it says it has been indirectly replaced.
I assume you mean "no results"..? The two gaskets are both current non-superceded numbers that show up in the Cat Parts Store but I cannot see if they are actually available anywhere. I also found a number of hits for aftermarket versions of the same two Part Numbers, both listed as gaskets. You need 0L-1027. A genuine number but shown as being discontinued. I see nothing aftermarket. However the material (copper alloy, aka brass) and measurements for it (0.187" dia x 1.219" long) are listed as properties of the 0L-1027
Thanks a lot. I ordered the gaskets. I got the side cover gaskets for the oil pan too. Using your dimensions I can buy rod stock and cut it. Again, thank you both.
I think 3/16" diameter (0.1875") round bar would probably work. The dowel is shown as having a small 45-deg chamfer at both ends.
Can you help me find 5B1171? It is the shaft.
Shown as discontinued with no replacement. Additionally I can't see anything aftermarket.
Whats bad on the shaft maybe a machinist could help you out
5B1171 updates/crosses to 7H4285, that shaft was used on the D3400 and D311 engines, should be available from the usual used caterpillar parts suppliers.
this is what i found a little while ago and it was all i could find https://www.tractorparts.com/tpinvlist.php?screen=1412
They are a good supplier, give them a call. Other companies will probably have it, but may want to sell the pump complete.
The bent shaft. I will try to straighten it.
I reached the supplier an hour after they closed. Tomorrow, they said they'll email me about availability and price.