Have a chance to pick up a 1960 hough h70. Wondering if its worth getting. Its an international gas job. Only asking 2700 for it. Thanks
OMG.......havent seen one of those in decades, had a drott 4-1 bucket on it. Cool machine back in the day with the "jet fighter" cab. IIRC, detroit power, 4-71? Sorry, no help here. Peronally, l would run like hell. Ed
Bumpsteer, I am with You on that Cut and Run!! Local salvage yard had one, also Gas, and used daily, finally cleaned up yard and tried to sell the old Hough, ended up in a scrap trailer.
Guess it depends on a couple things. First being what do you plan to do with it? Second does it start right up and function? Third what is your skill level for when something fails? OK, that was three things! A little more: Assuming it does run and operate for what you think you would use it how much would it cost to rent a machine to do that work? I mean what could you get for $3,000 rent in your area.
I would be using it around the farm and im very handy on repairs and maintenance.
Was simple to get parts for all kinds of equipment 3 years ago. Can not even get parts for a Detroit DD16 these days. Company I work for can't even get tires for some of their trucks. Only one piece needed and it won't move. Just be aware of real parts world out there. Simon C
Cool old machine. Go for it! As long as it's not something you are going to depend on. I have a similar vintage Michigan 280 wheel dozer that I have done a LOT of work with around my 40 acre place. Sure you can rent a machine for a big project, but if you are like me, you will find lots of times when you just need it for a small bit of work.
Hough MD3A/B couldn't kill em. Detroit 353 screamin Jimmys
That's kind of what I was getting at. If you just want something to use a few hours a year and it does run it might be a good thing to have around. Like if there is a couple big stone you want to move this week and maybe a brush pile to push away a month later. Can't really pay to rent something for a half hours work a couple times a year. Plus like anything if you have it you are sure to find more things to do with it. On the other hand if hoping to run a business and need it to work 20 to 40 hours a week that would be totally different!
Id just be using ot dor the odd job around the farm. Im sure id find lots of other jobs i could use it for as well. I appreciate all the comments
It's a good thing It's not closer to me, as I'd be working the old brain over trying to figure out how to justify just one more toy to the little woman. Anyhow, shoot some video of it when you get it home!