Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jd 410 backhoe oil cooler

RebelRancher ยท 2021-12-07 17:34

I have a JD 410 backhoe. The cooler started leaking hydraulic fluid. It is mounted to the radiator. I removed the whole unit. Took it to a radiator shop. They cleaned it all up. Said the radiator is good but the cooler is not fixable. John deere doesn't make it any more either. It had either 3/4 inch or 5/8 inch low pressure line hose clamps to it. Can I use any transmission cooler to replace it ? I can only find coolers with 1/2 inch lines. Can't find anything larger. Will 1/2 inch but too short and reduce too much flow? One mounts to the bottom, that goes toward the rear of the tractor. The line on top goes to the top of hydraulic pump on the end of the crank shaft. Thank you in advance, Rebel Rancher.

Replies11
  1. #1RebelRancher2021-12-08 07:55

    Is there a close to original replacement?

  2. #2mg23612021-12-08 12:06

    You mean this cooler? The original subs to another part number (AT169230). Deere system does not show it as obsolete which means you should be able to get it. Unfortunately Deere does not show any anywhere in the country. Ask your Deere dealer to open a DPAC case to see if it can be had.

  3. #3RebelRancher2021-12-08 18:26

    That is the correct one. I will call my local john deere dealership when they open tomorrow and check it out. Thank you very much for the info.

  4. #4Delmer2021-12-09 11:48

    If the machine never runs for more than an hour, and you don't have AC so you're not working in the hottest weather, then you can connect the hoses and watch the hydraulic temperature. Either a gauge, or a non contact thermometer. If you substitute from other than the JD#, beware that the cooler flow sometimes is used for transmission lube flow, so there is some back pressure. Also a cooler protection valve, so there is a spec for the pressure rating.

  5. #5RebelRancher2021-12-09 14:48

    I talked to the dealership this morning. They did a DPAC and got and answer. That number is an active number. The DCAP message told the dealership to order one and wait. There is already 2 on back order per the DCAP message too.

  6. #6Tinkerer2021-12-09 15:19

    What the reason the oil cooler couldn't be fixed ? Did the dealer give a lead time ? Did you vomit when he told you the price of it with tax ? Sometimes a lead time is meaningless. They should just say back-ordered until ---- no one really knows. I canceled an order yesterday after getting an email that said the lead time was extended another week which totaled up to 6 weeks. I called the vendor and he checked it and said "it is back-ordered, I don't when it will ship."

  7. #7RebelRancher2021-12-09 15:50

    The radiator shop said it can't be fixed. Leaking in the base of it. The dealership just emailed me with a price. I almost dropped my phone when I read the price. $1507 plus tax. I replied and said. I will have to pass on it. No w8ndow of possible ship or receive time.

  8. #8RebelRancher2021-12-09 15:53
  9. #9Delmer2021-12-09 16:13

    Bypass it with a straight hose, or find a hydraulic cooler at a junk yard, or a 1/2" tranny cooler and hope it doesn't blow. A temperature gun is $10-20 and you can use it for lots of stuff.

  10. #10RebelRancher2021-12-09 17:04

    I have an aftermarket cooler I bought last week with 1/2 inch lines. The original one has 5/8 inches lines. I also have a temperature gun. I will put the new cooler on Saturday and see if it will work. Thank you for the info.

  11. #11RebelRancher2021-12-15 17:43

    I bypassed the cooler. Used the loader on the tractor for about an hr with no problems. Thank you for the suggestion of bypassing.