Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1960’s ford 4500 blowing motor oil

kevinT ยท 2015-11-17 19:52

I have a problem with my ford 4500 industrial backhoe. It sat for about 8 months then when I went to start it, I had oil pushing out the dipstick hole before I even started it. I started it and not long after it started leaking motor oil all over the ground to the point when I shut it off there was no oil on the dipstick. Any help on what the problem is. Thanks kevin

Replies1
  1. #1Delmer2015-11-17 20:16

    Open the drain plug a few turns until you get a drip of oil or water out. You should have done this before starting and mixing the oil up. If you get water, green antifreeze, or chocolate milk, then check the antifreeze level and the exhaust for water getting in. It shouldn't have frozen in the last 8 months? block rusted out and leaked antifreeze? water in the muffler?