I just bought a 1961 case 310e dozer. it has the spring tension adjusters how much tension should there be on these. I thru a track today and put it back on but I am unsure how much to adjust these tracks. this is my first tracked equipment. any help woluld be great I have a parts book for this dozer but no operators or service book so I am calling on your experiance as I know some of you probably cut your teeth on one like this
I had a 310G and I am not sure how similar it is to the 310E, but mine had two nuts on a thread, a lock nut and adjusting nut that pushed the idler out. Tension the tracks so that the track has just a small amount of slack between the idler and top carrier roller. Don't make it tight. If you threw a track before, it was either ridiculously loose or the pins and bushes are worn allowing the track to wander off the bottom rollers and then off the idler. If that is the case, then it will still happen even if the tracks are tight until you replace or refurbish the tracks. Baz