Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1964 caterpillar 12E motorgrader question

OGBerry · 2023-08-22 18:40

Hi my name is OGBerry and i'm new to this forum. I have a question about my 1964 caterpillar 12E motorgrader. I was grading with it today and my control box stop working. All of the controls are easy to pull and no gears are trying to mesh. All of the controls has always jumped when you try to engage them ever since I have owned the machine. Anyone know what may have broken?

Replies7
  1. #1sled dog2023-08-22 20:20

    Sheared the main drive shear pin. Should be at the base of the vertical tower below the controls, usually behind a swinging cover. Right above the floor boards.

  2. #2GEORGIOS1982172023-08-23 13:59

    Yes between the pedals move the little door and there must be a pin

  3. #3OGBerry2023-08-23 20:41

    Thank you very much sled dog, Yep sheared the last pin. The collar has three holes, is that so you can put three shear pins in and if one shears you have a back up? Also do you know where I can buy some? I saw where someone posted that p/n 6D1754 was the correct pin, do you know if that is correct?

  4. #4OGBerry2023-08-23 20:43

    You are 100% correct, thank you.

  5. #5OzDozer2023-08-23 21:33

    Make sure you use the correct pin, using a high tensile bolt or something higher quality than the shear pin will see you break something in the control box drive, rather than the shear pin.

  6. #6GEORGIOS1982172023-08-24 05:51

    Don’t put 3. You may do a big damage let one soft bolt and when is pushed that will be broke and you can easy put another

  7. #7OGBerry2023-08-24 07:14

    Okay thanks.