Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6T block heater

watglen · 2020-12-08 04:58

Really dumb question here. Operators manual disappeared. Where is the block heater plug on a D6t -2012. Thx

Replies14
  1. #1Nige2020-12-08 06:58

    Depends on Serial number - various different locations............

  2. #2kshansen2020-12-08 08:27

    Tried very hard to not say it but the devil got the best of me: On the end of the block heater cord! But as it is often said a S/N is the best information you can post if looking for information on any machine but sometimes even more so with a Cat! Just took a quick look on SIS and it looks like there are around two dozen S/N prefixes and who knows how many S/N breaks in some of those. Sure 90% of them may be the same in regards to block heaters but with my luck I would pick the wrong one!

  3. #3Sk19702020-12-08 23:12

    Are 2014 is on the left side below battery’s there is a door on side with a hour meter, light switch and block heat plug in

  4. #4watglen2020-12-11 20:39

    Sorry, my bad. Zjb00289 Mine has a round grommet plug in the compartment with the bat disconnect, but no 120v prongs for an extension cord.

  5. #5Nige2020-12-12 06:57

    ........and do you know why..? It wasn't originally equipped with a jacket water heater when it was built. It's an optional attachment.............. I looked for it under your Serial Number but no dice. When I just put ZJB-prefix in, up it popped. See attachment.

  6. #6kshansen2020-12-12 08:16

    Have to wonder if that D6T was not originally ordered for shipment to Canada? Hard to imagine anyone buying a piece of equipment for there without a block heater! Reminds me of some Terex trucks the company bought that were built in Brazil! I think I was the one who noticed they did not come with heaters for the cab!

  7. #7Nige2020-12-12 09:10

    I would think not, because it's equipped with a TIER 4 Interim emissions package which is/was not mandatory for Canada at the time (2011) that the machine was originally built. Everything that went up North in that era was TIER 3.

  8. #8John C.2020-12-12 12:14

    Block heaters were usually a special order on new machines and almost never ordered on rental fleet machines. In my region, most of them were dealer add on later in life.

  9. #9alaskaforby42020-12-13 02:53

    anyway to add one to a 316 E Excavator? #DZW00991 I put a pan,hydraulic heater and battery tender, but would like to install a block heater as well. I didnt see one available on the cat parts store

  10. #10Nige2020-12-13 07:06

    Nothing that shows up immediately under the S/N prefix. But maybe there is a jacket water heater installation somewhere for a C4.4 engine. It'll take a bit more digging.

  11. #11Nige2020-12-13 08:33

    Only plug-and-play installation I can find is for a C4.4 Generator Set. See attached. Maybe the hoses might need to be different lengths but would something like this work.? Do you have a couple of screwed plugs on the side of the cylinder block to which the valves could be connected.?

  12. #12watglen2020-12-13 19:08

    You guys are chocked full of good info. Thanks a lot! The tractor was originally sold down into Texas I believe. IIRC there is a HOLT sticker on it somewhere. It came to Canada, then spent most of its life installing pipeline in Alberta. In Alberta you would think a block heater would be mandatory. The manual calls for a block heater below -18C. Anyway, thanks for the info. I will have to check the block to makes sure there isnt one hidden somewhere, before I get the kit.

  13. #13Delmer2020-12-14 00:41

    Katz and zerostart both show a frost plug heater for a C4.4 and give directions on where it's installed.

  14. #14alaskaforby42020-12-14 01:17

    Thanks Nige, I went out and looked tonight and saw a plug on top of engine that looks like it would work, Will need to take off a belly pan to see bottom half of engine better. the local cat store assured me it would start down to -25f with no problems. Maybe it would, but not something I’d like to do! Excellent! I will check that out as well, thanks