Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1966 Cat 977H, D333 engine

fredb ยท 2013-09-25 02:07

Working my way through all the problem spots on the machine I recently bought from an auction, I've come to a third oil line that connects the turbo to the accessory drive housing. (the older models have two lines only, one for pressure oil in, the other for the drain) This third oil line is dry! I've talked to the local Cat dealer about it and they can't help me. Would someone know the function of that line or knows of somebody who does know? Thank you.

Replies15
  1. #1Heavey Metal2013-09-25 20:01

    Lube for trany pump drive etc.

  2. #2fredb2013-09-26 01:09

    Sorry, Heavey Metal, the line I'm talking about has nothing to do with the trany....

  3. #3Heavey Metal2013-09-26 01:44

    Accessory drive on the front or the rear of engine? also specific serial# arag# also. Is the tube assy in question:9M4926? Direct drive or powershift? Gas start or electric?

  4. #4Nige2013-09-26 07:28

    I always wanted to do this ........... help us to help you :witpic

  5. #5fredb2013-09-28 02:15

    The Cat parts book calls the injection pump housing (on the right side of the engine block) accessory drive housing. It's the oil line 3S9366 that connects the turbo with this drive housing I'm questioning. Mach. Serial# 53A 7600 Up. It is shown on the turbo 3S4414 for serial#s 53A6795 Up. (9M4926 is a drain line from the turbo into the engine crankcase.)

  6. #6fredb2013-09-28 02:28

    Nige, thanks for the funny-picture; I can't send you a picture of the oil line since I don't have the exch. turbo and the manifold yet....

  7. #7Nige2013-09-28 08:34

    I understand, but the point of posting a photo with an original enquiry for help is that it can help people to offer you advice or suggestions if they can see what you're trying to figure out. The old adage of "a picture's worth 1000 words" so to speak.

  8. #8kshansen2013-09-28 09:04

    The only thing I can find in SIS online is a parts picture showing the turbo and this line 3S9366 you are asking about. This is only a guess but could it be a vent line to bleed off any air in the oil reservoir built into the turbo housing? As the elbow it connect to appears to be up near the top I can see where this would work to bleed of air to maintain a full supply of oil in the housing. Maybe this was a thought that it would keep turbo supplied with oil during the spin down time at shut down. The problem I could see with that is if shut down without a cool down time the oil left in the turbo would be cooked and end up plugging the turbo. Also tried finding old books at work but we gave them all to the local guy who works on the old equipment that dealer don't touch these days, traded them for a new set of seat cushions for a Case 1150C dozer! Much more comfortable to sit on than old service manuals.

  9. #9Heavey Metal2013-09-28 10:38

    Wonderful things those part#s Always helps when you mention them By the way the nomenclature for the # in ? (turbocharger vent)

  10. #10Bluox2013-09-28 15:08

    fredb, that line is a vent line. bob

  11. #11shopguy2013-09-28 20:58

    But Nige, it is harder to post pics here than to fix the tractor.:notworthy:notworthy:bash

  12. #12fredb2013-09-29 00:23

    You're right with the "picture and the 1000 words"; however, first, I don't have a camera and second, I wouldn't now how to pass it on to the forum. May be next time I'll ask somebody to do it for me....

  13. #13fredb2013-09-29 00:45

    The line 3S9366 is practially attached to the top of the bearing housing (just below the oil pressure line) and thus your thought makes sense to me. Thanks, kshansen.

  14. #14fredb2013-09-29 00:49

    I don't know.

  15. #15fredb2013-09-29 00:52

    Thanks for your line, bob.