I'm new to hydraulic rebuild and I'm trying to rebuild a bucket cylinder on a older (79?)New Holland 325 skid loader. The problem that I'm having is that when trying to remove the stake nut from the barrel with the spanner wrench, the barrel just rotates. I've cleaned up the mating surface between the barrel and the stake nut with a small brass brush on a rotary tool, but it still continues to spin. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Are you doing this with the cylinder on the machine? I like to break them loose on the machine so the barrel and rod can't turn.
The barrel needs to be held secure at the pin mounting area, like mitch504 said, some cylinders you can leave on the machines to loosen the glands once the hyd pressure is off them, or like said the barrel needs to be secure to turn the gland out. Be careful not to grab the tube in a vise and cause damage to it.
As Mitch504 & sheepfoot suggested bust the gland nut loose while the cylinder is still on the machine if possible.I have a piece of 4" x 4" square tubing embedded in the shop floor about 30" deep so I can lock the rod eye with a shaft while removing the piston nut from the rod.Good luck with the cylinder rebuild Mnnh.
TD25C, I can tell our safety people would go off the deep end if they saw that extension for your ratchet! I understand the need to do things like that but they just don't get it.
Get them a price of the stand cat has for cylinder tare down with the hyd unit to turn the socket/barrel gland and they will step back and give you a raise, or make you sub it out.
That's the problem they like to sub things out more and more. Jobs that we would have done without hesitating years ago now they want three estimates and go with low bidder then get upset when there is a problem getting the work done in timely fashion. Either that they tell us "NO OVERTIME!!" then hire outside people to do a job we could do if allowed to work overtime and pay then three to four times the rate our highest paid guys get.
Thats strange? I ran it past my engineering & safety departments and they seemed to like it however they are still arguing over what color to paint it:beatsme. It's actually just an inch drive breaker bar now as ratchet swivel was welded solid after the extension was added.I have a pretty tough Ingersol-Rand inch drive impact but some jobs it wont touch. Sometimes ugly jobs call for ugly tools. Understand what your saying kshansen. That would be frustrating at times when you need a tool and dont have it or someone says you cant use it for a job you know it will work fine on.
Agree one hundred percent on that. We are not suppose to use what they call "Cheater Pipes" but sometimes an intelligent use of one of these, in my opinion, makes a job safer as instead of having to pull with 100lbs on the ratchet you can do the same job with an easy and controlled 10lbs of pull.