Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1968 580ck

DBARH ยท 2010-11-17 11:54

Good Day everyone, DBAR here, I have just joined the forum. I have a couple issues with the old girl. I have rebuilt the lift clylinders. Flushed and filtered every fluid on her. I had to buy a new radiator for her. Now that we can dig and her engine runs we need to move. I have serviced the shuttle twice and she is still milky. I will change the fluid again tonight. There are two "drain" plugs on the shuttle. One on the main body where the clutch packs are and one on the bell housing. When I pull the plug on the bell housing I get some fluid,does this mean the seal is out on the torque convertor? With out riggers down she moves well through all gears forward and reverse. Put her on the ground and she needs 1200 to 1500 rpm's to start to move. Pick up tube? Pump? seal? any suggestions Thanks Dbar

Replies3
  1. #1Phil2010-11-17 19:59

    Welcome to the forum Dbarh:drinkup, It's normal to have oil in the forward compartment, it's a 'wet' bell housing. As a start, do you have an operating clutch pressure gauge on the dash? If so what does it indicate? Do you have any gauges for testing oil pressure? Phil

  2. #2DBARH2010-11-18 08:06

    Morning Phil Thats a relief, I changed the fluids last night and she moves forward and reverse. I have no gauges for hydraulics. There is a Temp and engine oil gauge. I have noticed that the clutch does not work as well as it should. It tends to grind when switching the manual transmission. Also on the manual there is a selection for "S" with the four speed what's the purpose for "S"/ gear? I need a shop manual do you know of a source? I really do want to put the correct gauges in for the tranny/ clutch I have no idea what needs to be put in the dash or where to connect them to the manifold on the shuttle. Thanks in advance!! Dbar

  3. #3s11202010-11-18 08:49

    The "S" is for start. If the starter interlock switch is working, it should only start with the shifter there. As for the clutch.... I have a 68 also. Some times it sticks a little on mine. If its not moving, try pulling the pedel back with your foot.