what category is the 3 point hitch on this tractor
I am pretty sure it would be Category 1, it is essentially a 135 and that is what they have.
In my internet searches I have found the same thing. The Massey 20 Industrial and the Massey 135 are close to the same but different. I wonder why Massey would do that. Maybe they did not have enough yellow or red paint
We like pictures. What does she look like? I am thanking the industrial tractor had a second hydraulic pump off the front of the crankshaft. Normally they had a loader and or hoe. Sometimes the centers of the rear wheels could be 500 pounds of cast iron instead of a steel plate. Possibly has a different transmission? Many were sold to road departments and they used to like yellow.
Here she is
MF20 is an industrial 135. ** had a large assortment of industrial machines including one of the first TLB's. I have a Sims cab off a (US) MF20 on my 135 but the floor board pieces won't work because I have a UK model 135 with 3" lower floor boards. Biggest difference is the ** 20 has a heavier solid front axle. MF20 also had a manual shuttle transmission option. Loader and TLB models did have a front mount hyd. pump. The loader is a model 32 and it looks like you have the manual shuttle transmission. Your tractor looks in fantastic shape but may be missing a chain on the 3 pt. arm. What engine does your tractor have? 3 cylinder Perkins diesel is the most desired but the gas version Perkins or 4 cylinder Continental are also very good engines. MF40 uses the same Perkins engines but is much beefier in almost every regard.
Your correct in all respects. The chain on the 3 point hitch arm is there , I just need to pin it back on. The left rear tire has a chain, I need to reinstall it. Also, it is the Perkins Diesel engine which starts quicker than my 2015 Jeep. I just purchased the tractor. I will change all the fluids and clean it up. Also has rear quick disconnect hydraulic lines. Future plans are to add a hydraulic operated top link and tilt.
Looks like the aux. hyd's are coming from the front pump which makes me wonder if it had a backhoe at some point. Will probably need flow restrictors in the spool valves if using for top and tilt as would be extremely fast. If the aux. hyd's work off a power beyond valve need to make sure that there is full flow of fluid so you don't dead head hyd. pump. I think the front pump is 17 GPM. Need to add a 2 spool valve for top and tilt. Perkins diesel is outstanding and sips fuel but the exhaust looks weird and looks like it would be a prime target for causing burns. Still looks in great shape for a 1969. Might be a casting date on the bottom of the oil pan.
Looks like a sweet tractor. My brother has a gas 135 around here with the Continental engine and it is a great tractor. I have a TO 30 Ferguson that is a good tractor but feels like a Model A with big back tires compared to that 135! 2 stage clutch, power steering, diff lock, draft and position control levers, added valve for remote hydraulics, high - low transmission... oh my!
Much to my surprise I was just informed that my 1969 Massey Ferguson ** 20 is actually a 1976 according to my serial number 9A239132
Big Dean's website has a lot of information for all you ** owners. Unfortunately he is deceased. http://web.archive.org/web/20080210144846/http://hometown.aol.com/masseymechanic/index.html
Your tractor is one of the last MF20 made as later in 1976 they came out with the MF20C with different sheet metal and some other changes.
Does my 1976 Massey Ferguson MF20 Industrial have a 2 stage clutch and what is the lever on the left side of the housing below the seat?
Lever is PTO control. If you can press the clutch halfway down and the PTO keeps turning but the tractor stops moving that is a 2 stage clutch. When you press the clutch all the way down the PTO stops also. You should feel a little "detent" in the clutch pedal where the first stage stops and the second stage starts. I would assume yours has it.
On the casting it probably has 3 positions, Ground PTO Neutral (not marked) and Engine PTO. Ground PTO is rarely used. Engine PTO is the standard one used for implements. 2 stage clutch is listed as standard equipment.
What is ground PTO vs engine PTO?
ground pto is geared to the end of the transmission so it varies with what gear you're in, that is with the ground speed. Engine PTO bypasses the transmission so it varies with engine RPM only. that is PTO RPM of 540 at a certain engine speed, regardless if you're moving or not. Ground PTO is used for certain implements, and can be used for a powered axle trailer: