Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1970 Case 580 CK

flyenhigh · 2021-02-26 21:36

Almost starts but won't continue running. smokes. then no "almost run" until I wait a few minutes, then same thing. fuel to the pump, not much if any at the injector. Ran fine last month, maybe a little rough. don't know why it would make a difference, but, changed engine oil and filter, now this.

Replies3
  1. #1thepumpguysc2021-02-27 09:46

    If it’s got the check ball return fitting ON TOP of the pump, take it off the pump.. MAKE SURE the shut off lever is touching the screw.(back side of pump) The cables r known to lose adjustment.. Put the throttle in the WFO position and try to start it.. ALWAYS PUT THE THROTTLE IN HI WHEN TRYING TO START IT.. Good luck..

  2. #2Eric a1cnc2021-02-27 19:06

    Can you explain why to put the throttle to Hi when starting? I am still new to diesels

  3. #3thepumpguysc2021-02-27 19:27

    To give it more fuel.. of course.. I should have said, bring it off low idle.. All the cranking specs for every injection pump tell u to put the throttle in hi before taking a reading..