Just bought my first tractor '68 case 580CK gas. Tractor sounds real good, fired right up on 2 surprise visits. Didn't appear to leak any fluids till I got it home and started driving it. I looked at the shift and saw a pile of what looked like Hydraulic fluid(kinda clear and pretty thick) traced it up to just under the steering wheel, pulled the dipstick on the right side of engine and it was just barely wet at the tip so I leaked a good amount in the 10-20 min of driving it. I should mention The previous owner mentioned he had done a few things recently one of which was bleeding out the steering system and how it was a real PITA to get all the air out. Is there a seal under the wheel?
Looks like the rotary valve is leaking. Or, one of the hoses leaking. That ol’e tractor was probably used too much when it was new.
Do you know how i can verify it is the rotary valve and more importantly where I can get a new one or a rebuild kit for it?
Take that rusty nut off, pull the steering wheel and the cover off. Then, you will be able to see everything. I’m not a Case guy, I don’t have the inside scoop on where to buy parts. Get the part number and start looking around the interwebs. You will get more help by going to the new member area and introducing yourself, first. BTW, welcome to HEF!
I have the nut off but I have to run out and grab a puller to get the wheel off. I appreciate you stopping by with some info
Good luck. Spray some penetrating oil around the splines before you leave to find a puller.
Welcome to HEF, Dreynol8 ! Here is a link to the parts book. https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...erica/cn/B8D06496-EFBE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6
Well I got the new pump in, bled the steering very well, topped it off and took it for a spin. Within 5 minutes a big hydraulic line blew off like a geyser and I lost about half gallon of fluid in 2 seconds. Any idea why this blew off? See pic Where do I refill this ol beast and do I have to bleed this system somewhere since the hose flew off?
Old hoses you will blow some more before its over
Good job getting your steering fixed. Your recent hydraulic failure is because the hose is 1/2 of a century old. It probably needs all new hoses.