Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1970 Hydra Leveling Hydraulics

Rubicon6 ยท 2014-02-09 06:19

Bought a 1970 ck Loader Backhoe , The Hydra Leveling Cylinder was missing , found a replacement cylinder , anyone have a clear pictures as to what ports its plumbed into, Thanks!

Replies27
  1. #1Juskatla2014-02-09 12:38

    I have the same machine and the cylinder was removed due to breaking the rod end a couple of times. When I bought the machine over 20 years ago, I reinstalled with all new hoses. I don't have a picture but you can look at the Case web site for the on line parts manual and follow the hoses from the loader valve to the leveling cylinder. Hose lengths are printed in the parts manual if they are missing. Not a lot of help but somebody might be able to provide the direct link to the Case manual and a picture for you. Jess

  2. #2Rubicon62014-02-09 13:17

    Okay i wil look there , i hope someone will post a picture of that area , thanks again!

  3. #3Tinkerer2014-02-10 06:39

    What model is the tractor ? Ck is the series designation. The diagram you are looking for is available here. http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::model_find If you need help finding the diagram let us know.

  4. #4Rubicon62014-02-10 19:11

    The model is 580ck, i have just about every manual , complete Case model 33 loader manual Case 580 ck workshop manual , Case 580ck service & parts manual version 2.0 0n cd ,and the complete Case service manual from Techmedia , bought this machine and the hydra levelling cylinder was missing , i am try to restore this machine and would like to get things back as close to original as possible, would really like someone with the same unit to Post Pictures of Loader control Valve and Hydra leveling cylinder! Yes there are diagrams of this but some pictures would be more helpful !

  5. #5Rubicon62014-02-12 19:57

    So does anyone on here have pictures of the right side of a 1970 580CK , control valve , and Hydra Levelling Cylinder ?

  6. #6Tinkerer2014-02-13 07:30

    I cannot find a picture on the internet of a 580C with Hydra-Leveling cylinders on the loader. Not even in the parts book. Are both cylinders missing from the loader ? Post a couple of photos of what you have. Maybe that will help someone to help you. For the safety of anyone operating the loader it is wise of you to restore the self-leveling capability of the loader bucket.

  7. #7Rubicon62014-02-13 17:12

    THE MACHINE IS A 1970 580 CK -SERIAL # 8316621 -I can't find any good up close pictures of the hydra levelling cylinder and where it is plumbed into the control valve ! Only the hydra levelling cylinder is missing , lift & tilt cylinders are still there , that is why i came to this site in hopes that someone could post pictures of that area on there 1970 580 CK !

  8. #8Tinkerer2014-02-13 22:41

    That serial number puts the mfg. date at between 1967 to 1968. If you have the correct parts manual, it will show in good detail how the cylinders are plumbed. Here is a link that you should find interesting. Be sure to carefully read Melben's #15 post.

  9. #9Rubicon62014-02-14 04:51

    Wheres the link?

  10. #10Tinkerer2014-02-14 07:14

    OOPS ! Sorry, Here ya go. Melben Is one of the Case experts on these forums and knows what he is talking about.

  11. #11Tinkerer2014-02-16 12:42

    On 01/19/2012 Melben posted in that thread I linked to. "I checked the Case parts site and the system shown is in the 580C online parts search. I have been with Case and have been at a dealership where we sold hundreds of these machines, I checked the D series which is similar to the C which was the first modular Case hoe and loader and I think the D system more accurately represents what the C is like, the C and D do not have loader uprights as the diagram shows as the whole frame of the tractor is Modular and the engine and drive components are mounted inside the main frame assembly, for some reason the old style frame and valve and linkage are shown in the online parts book, I will check our master parts book in the AM when I go to work I don't know where the confusion is here but the 580 C is NOT a Hydraleveling loader, it uses a rod to accomplish anti rollback and an electrical microswitch to set up the return to dig feature. It does not have a slave cylinder, that went away after the B series which used a lever that held the dump cylinder lever in rollback till the edge was in the proper place then the lever released the control lever and stopped the rollback function. The diagram shown is a B or earlier as the control valve on a C is in a compartment with the battery. The system shown would be virtually the same for the 530CK through the 580 B. All later systems were mechanical/ electric. Mel When using the online parts catalog be sure to use the 580 C loader parts lookup page, it is correct and shows it without the hydraleveling cylinder setup. Last edited by melben; 01-19-2012 at 09:56 PM. " Have you found anything in regards to getting your cylinder installed ????

  12. #12Rubicon62014-02-16 13:22

    Thanks To melben & tinker for the info , i have figured out the correct way to install this cylinder , i have not installed this yet , there is to much snow and to cold, also i bought a mint right side side frame , mine has been cracked and re welded , our shop is moving at the end of febuary , after that i will be working on it non stop and will try to post some pictures, and i hope that some members will post pics of there 580 ck also , Thanks Again Kevin!

  13. #13Tinkerer2014-02-16 19:33

    That's good news Rubicon6, Sounds like you are going to be real busy. We'll be looking for those photos.

  14. #14Juskatla2014-02-16 23:13

    My 580ck has gussets and weld repairs on the right side of the loader frame where the cross piece in attached. Apparently, its a common issue this the model 33 loader and I read that its related to the leveling cylinder creating uneven stress on the frame. I can't find where I read that but it may have been on this forum. When I bought mine in 1991, one of the gussets had cracked and I had a shop repair that crack. So far, no issues and I lift a lot of large rock and other heavy stuff. If you haven't already figured it out, the lengths for the two hoses you need to install the leveling cylinder are listed in the parts manual. Mine had a single hose from the valve direct to the right hand loader lift cylinder. I am not located where my machine is resting but later in the spring, if you need any pictures or other information, I'll try to help you out. These old girls are simple and relatively easy to repair and maintain, A lot of the tractor parts are Ag tractor bits that can be gotten cheaper if you look around. Front spindles and bearings need regular inspection and greasing due to the load from the front end loader. I rebuilt my front axle assembly a few years ago and it wasn't a problem getting aftermarket parts. Have fun with your machine. They aren't perfect but beat the heck out of a shovel and wheelbarrow. Jess

  15. #15Rubicon62014-02-17 05:31

    Well i have located a Used Loader Lift Frame , No cracks or welds for $450.00 and with my right side frame , and hydra levelling cylinder , i should know be able to repair this model33 loader to new condition ! LOL!

  16. #16Juskatla2014-02-17 12:16

    Great score. Did you source it locally from a parts business or privately? Not too many places for parts on the west coast and shipping would be a killer for most stuff to anywhere. Hopefully you have the pin(s) for the leveling cylinder or can get them from your source. I'm looking for that lifetime find of a 4-1 Case or Drott bucket but have yet to find one. Post some pictures of your machine when you can. We all like pictures! Jess

  17. #17Rubicon62014-02-17 13:38

    Juskatia you have a PM!

  18. #18Juskatla2014-02-19 12:02

    Posted for Rubicon6

  19. #19Juskatla2014-02-19 12:06

    A couple more for Rubicon6

  20. #20Juskatla2014-02-19 12:13

    The above pictures of Rubicon6 Case 580CK that I posted for him. Nice looking old girl, with extendahoe, which I can only dream about. Will make short work of all that snow. Out here on the west coast, its rain, rain and more rain but spring is just around the corner. Thanks for the pictures Rubicon6. Jess

  21. #21Rubicon62014-02-19 20:45

    Thanks for getting my pictures up Juskatla , once this dam snow is over i will get some repair pictures , last pic on right is the loader side frame i purchased and will install soon , its in great shape no cracks or welds , I have also bought the loader frame and will have it soon Thanks again!

  22. #22melben2014-02-20 19:58

    Anyone operating those machines will notice that it takes extreme pressure to lower the loader with the bucket rolled back, the reason is the bucket cannot roll back because it is against the rollback stops and the hyrda leveling cylinder is displacing oil to it to make it roll back and it cannot because it is already rolled back, Forcing it down against hydraulic pressure exerts extremely hard up pressure on the hydra leveling cylinder stressing the top of the RH upright and tearing the upper bushing mount out. If you doubt this, roll the bucket back and shut the engine off and put the bucket spool in lower position, most times the loader will lower very slowly and if the engine were running and you used down pressure to lower it you would be creating the conditions to tear the bushing mount and top of frame out. NEVER lower the loader with the bucket rolled back and the conditions will never occour that damage the frames. It is customer error that ruined countless frames, Hydra leveling was a great trouble free system but it had this one fault easily overcomable by intelligent operation. Mel

  23. #23Juskatla2014-02-20 20:40

    Mel, That makes perfect sense now. On my old 1968 CK, the leveling cylinder was removed due to breaking off the rod end. I had that fixed and have not had any trouble in 20yrs. One thing that I noticed on many of these machines is that the right loader arm has been repaired near the cross member. Any idea if that is related to the leveling cylinder or just overloading and twisting the frame? Mine had the repair gussets on it when I bought it in 1991 but they were cracked again. Since a proper repair, no further problems are apparent. I'm the 3rd owner and the first was a municipality and the second was a friend and casual user. Most of the heavy use and abuse occurred in the first 5 years of its service life along with some questionable repairs. Thanks for the insight on the damage to the RH bearing, its not a problem I was familiar with. Jess

  24. #24Rubicon62014-02-22 07:31

    Thats likely what happened, now its up to me to repair this mess , just have to pick up loader frame and then i can start , and i will post pics as i go!

  25. #25Rubicon62014-03-01 08:47

    And i hope someone will post pictures of that control valve and cylinder area!

  26. #26Scott Lane2018-10-02 20:58

    Anyone know where I could get a gland nut for my hydro leveling cylinder? When it broke years ago whom ever welded it up damaged the gland nut and it won't hold a wiper any longer. Heck I'd buy the whole cylinder if I could find it

  27. #27LstLk2Hi2024-01-16 08:00

    Big yellow wheelbarrows