Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 410 hydraulic problems

js127227 ยท 2014-02-09 17:12

I have a late 70's early 80's JD410 loader/backhoe. I used it perfectly fine for 4 hours clearing snow, backed it into my garage when finished, went out 3 days later to move more snow and the loader will not go forward or reverse. I thought maybe got some moisture in the oil or some linkages froze up due to all the snow so I got the garage up to 60 or so for a few days with no success. Jacked the back end up and both tires turn freely so brakes aren't locked up. What it seems like is when you let up on the clutch near the very top of the travel it just bogs the motor down and dies. It does it in either forward or reverse. I even took it out of gear but left the trans selector in low and it still bogged down. The only way it won't bog down is if both shifters are in the neutral position. I think its hydraulic related because it happens at the very last part of the clutch travel (near very top) which is when the hydraulic part of the system kicks in. I do know that when its in gear and starts to bog down that if you give it more throttle that it will go forward or reverse but I didn't want to do that to long and wreck something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies4
  1. #1Awhelan2014-02-09 19:42

    Need a bit more info. Does is start, run and Idle normal? Do the Hydraulics all work at idle? (steering, loader, hoe, outriggers) Have you checked the Hydraulic fluid level? I'm also not sure about your description of the clutch operation, the clutch pedal should have a stop that you can flip up to allow you to push the pedal all the way to the floor for cold weather starting. Pushing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor manually disengages the engine from the reverser. Just like the clutch in a truck. The hoe should be operated with the stop down, this only allows you to push the clutch pedal half way down which hydraulically clutches the reverser. All of your functions (steering etc.) should work with your foot off the clutch at idle. Andy

  2. #2js1272272014-02-11 11:04

    Tractor does start, run, and idle normal. All of the hydraulics work perfect. Fluid level is 100%. Clutch does not have a stop that you flip for cold starting you just push it to the floor to start when cold, that I do know. All the steering works at idle too. Everything works perfect. It just seems like its stuck half in park and half in gear. Someone recommended to check the linkages as the roll pin or pins could have broke which will be my next venture.

  3. #3Delmer2014-02-11 11:46

    Welcome to the forum, cold nuff for yeh yet? Interesting problem you have there, the elves got into it overnight or something? I wish I could help, but there are many, many guys here who know those better than I do. You could try either to identify what kind of reverser you have, or search the Case reverser problems on here. Just from what I've read, most of the JD used the same reversers as Case did for a while and the guts are the same. You could even post a pic of the shift lever pattern and/ or a shot of the side of the case. Could also try changing the title to "backhoe shuttle/reverser stopped working overnight" that might get the right people's attention, it's not really a hydraulic problem.

  4. #4js1272272014-02-14 18:58

    I did more research today and found that I can get the tractor to move forward and back if I leave the high/low/park shifter in neutral. If I put it in low it bogs down. I did notice that you can pull the lever back towards you when your in low also. Is that suppose to do that? If I put the tractor in park is does stay in park and doesn't move. I have a top plate off the transmission right now and can see the forks working. The park/high fork set screw was loose so I tighten that up. I tried to see if it would adjust but it would not move either way. Wondering if I should just run it in neutral and just say the heck with it.