Thought some of you might get a kick out of this old girl. Ended up picking it up at an auction a few weeks ago. Its a 1970 Oshkosh with an NH-230 cummins, and a 5 speed with 4 ranges. The blower is a Snogo with an 8v71 detroit power unit. The truck only has 22xxx miles (seems typical for these things to be low miles) and the power unit has 200 hours. Just a pretty clean old unique truck. If I've still got it this winter and we have some snow I'll try to get some video of it in action
Looks like you could blow snow into the next state with that old girl.
Very cool. I had one that was a hot wheels about thirty years ago.
Looks like you've got a similar rig behind it. Do both axles steer on this truck? I've seen a number set up that way.
I spent 3 winters blowing snow in similar machines made by Sicard here in Canada. Grader goes up one side of street and down the other wind rowing snow in the middle and we blow it into peoples front yards. I have seen windrows big enough that we would have to take 1/2 and then go around street again doing second half. And that with machines the same size in picture. 3 times in my life we got 5 ft in about 24hrs. Never shut the town down. Schools would close for a day for safety reasons but life would be back to normal within about 24hrs.
Where in northwest BC were you doing that? Got to be either Kitimat or Stewart. Those are the only two towns up here that get that much snow.
Kitimat
The one behind it also sold on the auction but it had been totalled the year before and was pretty much parts. That one had the rear steer option but at somepoint it had been disabled and used as a rigid rear axel. This one actually started out life with a dump box and had a benching wing and was later converted to its current configuration so it has a standard rear axel.
I work around at the local airport. They have bought one of these 2 years ago. It can blow snow at 100 kph. I will see if I can get a vidoe this winter. http://www.atifirst.com/wolf1050.html
"YUP-YUP" …….. Been THERE Done THAT !!!!! …… Back at the end of the '80s beginning of '90s ….. we hauled logs from Bell-2 to Terrace or Kitimat (at the A-Frame log dump) ….. Living at the junction (we used to get 55' annual gross fall) we used to say ..."You could Hear it SNOW" … it was snowing that hard, we would plow snow 24/7 when those conditions hit ….. Stewart : Highest gross Snow-load in ALL of North America !!! …… The problem they had with those Blowers, when they tried to keep Hwy 37A open was the debris from avalanches (ice, trees, tire chains …. Ouch !) Ahhhh !!! ….. The Memories !!!
Silveraddo-Now that winter is close to over, did you get a lot of use out of the old girl? i actually met you out there, just didnt know it at the time. I bought a plow truck at the sale and just about put some bids on the blower, but my budget was spent. Hope it worked good. I'll be looking for one at the next sale because I would have a lot of use for it this year. The problem with blowers is that they could sit for 3 years and not get used but when you need them, your really are glad you have it.
Hey Biggrader, just noticed this, now that we're halfway through the summer. I go to those auctions every year, and honestly I wasn't even entertaining the idea of bringing the old girl home when I went, funny how that works. I ended up surveying the local market and decided my best money was in reselling the old girl, I ended up selling it before the snow flew and am kind of glad I did, Could of used it a few times but at the end of the day I think for my uses I'm better off with a tractor mounted blower. Kind of got an education from the guy I sold it to, and even if it was part of the negotiating tactic, I'm convinced there isn't alot of $$ in owning and operating one, unless you enjoy keeping old iron alive. Planning to hit that sale up again this year?
I'm sure I will go. Tough to pass up someone elses junk (oopps..... used equipment!)lol.
I'm always up for a sale. Where and when is this one. State auction?
State surplus auction at Bemidji ,Oct 4