Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1995 John Deere 410-D bucket cylinder issue

Peter_H · 2024-10-01 16:20

I have a 95 John Deere 410-D backhoe. The cylinder that rolls the front bucket was leaking badly, so I removed it and took it to a hydraulic repair shop near me and had the cylinder rebuilt. Said repair shop has been in business for years so I think I can trust their work. I just installed the new cylinder, started up the machine, and tried to roll the bucket and it won't move at all. I've repacked cylinders myself many times and have never had this happen. On my old Case backhoe, with cylinders I rebuilt all it would take is to cycle the appropriate lever and cycle the cylinder a few times to get the air out of the system, then top off the oil and you were done. When I move the bucket lever in either direction, (to roll it forward or back) when it dead heads, I can see either hose move a bit, but it's almost like its air bound. The lift cylinders are working fine. All of the rear backhoe cylinders are working fine as well. Is there some type of safety valve on the machine that would cause this to happen. This has me somewhat stumped. I guess the next thing to try is cracking both hoses that feed the cylinder to see if I can get air or oil out of them. Anyone ever experience this problem? Would crossing the hoses cause this? I took pictures of the hose routing with my phone, so I am pretty sure its correct. And one hose is a lot longer than the other, so I'm 99% sure they are on there like they are supposed to be. In my mind, even if they were reversed, the cylinder should work, just in a backwards orientation on the lever. Any idea what my problem is? It's discouraging sometimes working on this stuff. A simple repair job and I am having issues. I'm hoping it is something stupid that I am missing.

Replies8
  1. #1HarleyHappy2024-10-02 09:52

    Try cracking the upper lines and check for pressure and fluid. Then the bottom line. Could be the loader valve is bound up but I haven’t heard of that before. You still need to verify fluid is moving.

  2. #2Peter_H2024-10-02 10:01

    Thanks, I will try that.

  3. #3cosmaar12024-10-02 23:17

    I don’t have this machine and it doesn’t sound like a low fluid issue or the other cylinders wouldn’t work…. Do you have the pins in correctly? Maybe something could be in wrong there. What about pulling the rod in and out by hand? You would have to crack the lines to relieve pressure so it can move.

  4. #4Peter_H2024-10-03 06:41

    I am all set. I figured it out. I found some pictures online of how it was supposed to go back together, and I had it wrong. I took pictures with my phone too, but I still made this mistake. Once I compared it to the correct way, it was so obvious why it was not working. Thanks for the replies and offers to help. I feel kind of stupid actually, but I am not as young and sharp as I used to be.

  5. #5cosmaar12024-10-03 19:15

    What did you put in wrong?

  6. #6Peter_H2024-10-04 06:45

    If you look at the attached photo, there are two holes for the bucket pivot. The LOWER one receives the business end of the hydraulic cylinder. The UPPER hole receives those two heavy steel links. The parts manual calls them "H-Link to dipper" I had BOTH the cylinder and the H-links in the same hole. Once I saw it, I asked myself how I could be so dumb. So, there is no way the cylinder could extend or retract because it was being held securely in place by the H-links. It took me about 20 minutes to drive the pins out and switch it out. I have seen some buckets where there is an extra hole so you can make the bucket roll further forward or backwards. I think this is what I was thinking. Regardless, it was kind of a dumb mistake. One good thing about it though. In my 75 years of life so far, I've realized that we all learn from our mistakes. A few pictures with my cell phone could have prevented all this though. Lesson learned.

  7. #7Vetech632024-10-04 14:16

    Don't feel dumb my friend. I've been doing this equipment repair for over 40 years, and every single year I have a *** moment.....or more than I like to admit now that I'm hitting my golden years.

  8. #8Peter_H2024-10-04 17:01

    Thanks. It takes a man to admit he made a mistake.