Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1971 JD 300B stalled

eltriola ยท 2010-05-18 21:21

I started my backhoe today and it stalled after running for a few minutes, it started right back up and ran for a few minutes but stalled when I put it in gear and started to move. This happened one more time and then I started to look for reasons. I found that the motor oil was on the low side and so was the hydraulic fluid, I thought that this might cause safety shutoff but wasn't sure with a machine this old, I topped the fluids off and the machine ran for a couple of hours with no problem. I was off the machine rolling some rocks into the bucket when it just stalled, it sounded like it ran out of fuel but it has plenty, when I went to start it wouldn't turn over when I turned the key, no juice at all to the starter, nothing when I turned the key. The batteries, battery wires and alternator are all new. Thanks in advance for any ideas

Replies2
  1. #1grandpa2010-05-18 21:41

    Sounds like to me you have two problems going on there. The first problem is a fuel problem, like filters clogged. The second problem is problably in the starter it self if all the cables and batteries are new, could also be a switch problem. Take a test light and see if you got power to the starter and to the solenoid when the switch is turn on.

  2. #2diggerdave19582010-05-30 00:02

    Hey, eltriola. The frist Backhoe i ever purchase was a JD 300B and i agree with grandpa sound like two problem there, there is a fuel-lift pump on the engine that might be on its way out and also change the fuel filters. And my old 300B use to go thou starter alot until i quite have them rebuild by the same guy over and over and just when to a deal a purchase a new one then she did'nt give me any more problem until i sold her and that is a story for another day, lol