Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1972 580b needs help

hurky62 ยท 2016-07-19 15:34

I just cleaned the pickup tube screen for the shuttle pump , changed the fluid twice and the trans filter and the tractor still won't move the pressure gauge on the dash is in the green while in neutral but as soon as you put in drive falls to low in the red , reverse seems better but still in the red need help !!! What to do next

Replies11
  1. #1lantraxco2016-07-19 17:57

    I'm no expert but it sounds to me like your clutch seals or some seal rings may be shot in the reverser?

  2. #2Juskatla2016-07-19 19:27

    There are a few good threads on here for 580 and 580 B shuttles. When did it quit working? Adjustments could be part of the issue or the shuttle seals may be done. I'm not much help to you yet, as I am just in the process of tearing my 580CK down and pulling the shuttle for replacement seals and springs. Mine was fine but since I'm splitting to change seals, I wanted to go through it now. Someone with experience on these Rockford shuttle set ups will likely offer some useful suggestions. A manual would be useful to help understand how the shuttle works and the valve adjustments that you should check before tearing anything down. Keep us posted on progress....

  3. #3hurky622016-07-19 20:37

    It's been a problem for a while , I built a new house and parked the tractor out back behind the house it sat there for more than 3 yrs without moving. Last week I started it up ( an it started right up ) an I was able to move it about 100 ft to a place where I could work on it I pulled the cover off the trans and was able to clean the pickup tube, flushed an cleaned and changed trans filter, I hate the thought of splitting the tractor... It's at a point of cost to repair vs. value of the tractor looking for a cheap fix

  4. #4onemank62016-07-19 22:47

    Taking off from where you left off sounds like you need to remove the shuttle valve plates and the shuttle pump so you can inspect the pump ........there is a gear that mounts/drives that pump and a woodruff key that the gear goes on the pump shaft and connects the 2 you might get lucky and that woodruff key is broke allowing the gear to spin on the shaft when it in forward or reverse short of that sounds like shuttle seals which are more like a piston ring but it requires a tractor split then shuttle tear down.........im thinking you can shuttle rebuild if it rockford for less than $400.00 if you do it yourself .........

  5. #5hurky622016-07-20 07:28

    Yes , when I had it all apart i inspected the shuttle pump closely it seemed to be in good condition no signs of damage or undo wear , and it able to bring the shuttle pressure up into the green at a idle while in neural.

  6. #6onemank62016-07-20 17:30

    Sounds like sealing rings in the shuttle or on the mainshaft of the shuttle that create a seal for the forward/reverse ports in the torque tube........If you choose to split it before you do you will want to know if you have a rockford or twin disc shuttle as the rockford is something you can rebuild yourself but the twin disc sounds like a real bear for most of us.....

  7. #7Juskatla2016-07-20 18:58

    I just posted some pictures of the Rockford shuttle over on my 68 580CK Project thread. You can see the rings located on the mainshaft, the others will be inside and once I get it apart, I'll add pictures of those and the rubber 'lathe cut' O ring. If you have checked your valve and adjustments, you are likely headed into the shuttle for a repair. Its not too bad to get at but I have my tractor stripped down and can sit next to it, rather than having to bend over everything in the way.

  8. #8hurky622016-07-22 09:08

    So yesterday after some effort it went into reverse and I was able to move the tractor it felt as if it would slip in gear an grab real good an then slip out after a few times it stuck in gear , but no forward what so ever My biggest concern right now is I have never split a tractor this big an do not have a place to put this inside a barn or shop to do this I've split my farmall in the field before but it so much smaller am manageable for one person Is this something that can be done outside without being on some kind of concrete floor ?

  9. #9hurky622016-07-22 09:10

    If not anybody looking for a old junk backhoe cheap!!!!!!

  10. #10onemank62016-07-22 22:12

    If you remove the backhoe which is pretty simple to do then block the front half cut pcs of logs work good then maybe some plywood by the rearend so you can jack the rear end and roll the jack and rearend back to split it.......I know it sucks but i would do it to be able to save the machine especially if the rest of the tractor is worth it..........It is a bit of a job but with a little creativity im sure you could figure it out ......Look on youtube there are some videos where guys split them using a tree as a hoist.........good luck

  11. #11Grady2016-07-24 15:52

    I split mine outside so it is definitely do-able just not as much fun crawling around in the dirt. You can put a tarp or something up to minimize the weather. If you're going to part it out, I could use a stabilizer cylinder and a couple steering cylinders if they're the same as a CK.