Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

(((HELP PLEASE CAT 420D IT vs Ford 555E)))

NCman ยท 2016-10-19 16:50

Sorry for the caps in post just really need some quick advice. I'm trying to decide between two TLB's that I've been looking at recently. #1) 99 Ford/New Holland 555e 2WD 36" hoe and GP bucket 2100hrs For 17K Has had 5-6 repacked cylinders. #2) 2004 CAT 420D IT 4wd GP bucket w/ quick connect bucket with 24" hoe 5500hrs Everything works but is a bit rough on paint and a weeping swing cylinder. The rest of the cylinders look fine. 17500.00 delivered from an hour away It would be from a local large contractor with millions in equipment. Says he is retiring and selling off any extra equipment. He has 5 TLB's and is keeping one. He say he longer uses them and is now using more track hoes in their place... I was set on the ford but this CAT is 4wd,2004 and seems to run an average of 24K with this year/model/hrs/features...while the ford seems to average about 17-18 in 2wd. I dunno? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Daniel

Replies14
  1. #1x-ray2016-10-19 19:08

    Can only advise so far, as its really up to you and what you want. Going from what info you had in your two posts the 2004 seems like the better deal (more options though more hours). I have a New Holland 655 and like it, but I would not say that I'm brand loyal. I know many think 4wd is not needed and for those who can't but seem to get stuck. However, I will say it 4wd is INDISPENSABLE up here. Also the 4-1 loader bucket on the CAT will come in handy in many ways you probably haven't even thought of. Biggest advise is if you can try each out do so and go from there. Scrutinize, scrutinize as once you buy it that leaking cylinder, minor electrical issue, etc., are now yours to solve. I spent some time and did my best to be as objective as possible when looking and trying them out. Good luck.

  2. #2NCman2016-10-19 19:44

    Thanks for the reply. I have until tomorrow to make a decision between the two. I'm leaning towards the 99 555e because of the low hrs and the fact that due to funds I will most likely have to sell it after using: But I could re-sell the cat for a profit it seems but with 5500 hrs will it die before I can use and sell it? Still glad to hear opinions and hold no one to blame....

  3. #3CM19952016-10-19 20:06

    There would be no decision for me - 17 year old 2wd Ford or 12 year old 4x4 420DIT for about the same money, the Cat is a given. Yes I am brand loyal to Cat but for a reason, my experience with Cat machines and product support. I have a 2003 420DIT, 4x4, cab A/C and extenda-hoe. It has close to 3K hours, bought it new. The IT front on the Cat is very handy. I have a standard bucket and forks and use both. Very handy for supporting pipe laying, fill the stone box drop the bucket pick up forks and string out pipe. It's been a very dependable machine and I can get any part I need for it easily, something that will not be as easy for the Ford. If nothing else the Cat having 4x4 is reason enough.

  4. #4x-ray2016-10-19 20:10

    Depending on maintenance performed, I've seen TLB in the 10-12k hr range. If you had more time that's where one of those oil DNA analysis would really help. The '99 is around the date of my machine and still had many of the good Ford traits before changing and having some of the later 2k+ model issues. If your going to resell it that might play in your bet as to which you can get use out of then turn around and re-sell. Either year is ok. I would suspect that with 6 or so cylinders being replaced they must have replaced some of the hoses, by now so that might be in your favor. But if you can only resell for about what you pay then..

  5. #5NCman2016-10-20 16:29

    I went to take another look at the 555e today. I was checking fluids and coolant was plain water,oil was just registering on the dip stick and trans fluid looked like coffee with cream. Still had some viscosity to it but definitely with a good bit of water. I called the local ford dealer and talked to the service mngr. He said that it might not be a problem but could be...He said I would have to get them to exchange all the fluid and filter 3-5 times at 225.00 a time in order to completely clear the system. He also said he could not guarantee it would remove it completely. That basically did it for me. I have had trucks, side x sides and such get water in trans or engine and it's never good. I should be getting the CAT tomorrow and I'll try and post some pics. Thanks for all the help.

  6. #6Hobbytime2016-10-20 16:36

    the only question I would ask is why the head was replaced on the cat? from your other thread..

  7. #7NCman2016-10-20 17:06

    That was for the 2001 cat. The engine on this 2004 model is original. Thanks for the suggestion though.

  8. #8Roddd2016-10-22 20:07

    Why don't you call the Cat dealer with the serial number? They'll give you the history of the machine and the hour rating when parts were serviced and replaced. The Cat dealerships have always been helpful to me.

  9. #9Deon2016-10-23 07:16

    The 99 Ford may have 11,700. Some hour meters will start back at 0 after 9,999.

  10. #10NCman2016-10-23 09:57

    Here are some pics of the CAT 420D IT. I've already buried a road pipe and dug a 200' ditch. Starting to get the hang of it but have lots of room for improvement. Thanks to all for the help and tips. Daniel

  11. #11NCman2016-10-23 10:00

    pics

  12. #12Hobbytime2016-10-23 12:10

    nice looking machine..as a hobby user( me) it does take a learning curve on what the machine can and cant do, including getting it stuck in the mud...LOL..and you learn how to unstuck it...use it in good health....

  13. #13Billrog2016-10-23 14:04

    Nice looking machine but until you've owned it a while I'd keep that pick-up at least 2 miles away .

  14. #14NCman2016-10-23 14:24

    Thanks fella's. Yeah, it seems fine but I've only put a 2 and 4hr shift on it so far. I'll keep the truck close