Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1973 Cat 955L

Dapperdan16 ยท 2016-05-14 19:57

Hello everyone, is $6,000 cheap for a 1973 Cat 955L? it sure sounds super cheap to me, just thought I'd ask the experts on the forum, here is the ad, sorry so vague. I will try to get a serial number and upload the 3 photos from the ad. Thanks, Danny '73 Cat 955L Track Loader with only 2000 Hours. It needs track tensioners but otherwise ready to work. Bottom is good. Bottoms are clean and sharp.

Replies8
  1. #1Dapperdan162016-05-15 20:19

    No responses?? I'd like to go look at it this week but am not sure what these machines are worth, it would be my first track loader, any info would be great, thanks Danny

  2. #2Grease Gun2016-05-15 21:07

    Can't open the pictures, but if it's in decent shape, $6,000 is a pretty good price. I paid $10,000 for mine about 5 years ago.

  3. #3390eric2016-05-15 21:08

    Go look at it and take better pics to show us. Tracks look loose but you said it needs tensioners. It all depends on how much you are willing to put into it and how bast it is and what you want to do with it. That's how you determine the value

  4. #4Dapperdan162016-05-16 06:39

    Thanks for the replies, I know the pictures are not clear they were the ones from the ad good idea to go look at it and take more pics thank you

  5. #5DMiller2016-05-16 07:49

    What I have noticed since buying my old junker is the pricing seems to be waning on the older machines. Parts needs, availability and incessant age required maintenance are the killers with many if not all repair components being of foreign albeit potentially lesser grade manufacture. Cats around here still draw a good price but they sit for sale a long long time before being picked up, mostly farmers, small contractors trying to get a start or hobbyist users so market share is decreasing. Medium and small excavators, rubber track skid loaders have become all the rage and hold the market demand for now. $6000 seems cheap but could be just the regional norm. Check S/N for point of manufacture and fault/failings to that line of machine.

  6. #6Dickjr.2016-05-16 12:59

    If its a craiglist add it could be Nigerian . They steal pics and relist things basically to fish for a deposit and they're gone after getting deposit. It could be legit if it has a real address and phone number. Had a guy try to sell me a car on there , he was an oceanographer , the car was in Winston salem in a container supposedly. It reeked of scam. Like I said before it could be 100% , if so and its looks pretty good I'd jump on it.

  7. #7Dapperdan162016-05-16 18:33

    it is a craigslist ad with a phone number, but the guy is not getting back to me, seems like craigslist can be hit or miss. I saw the price of $6,000 and thought it was super cheap being that I've seen them as high as $20,000 so I thought I would ask everyone here on the forum, I need it like I need a hole in my head, I just bought a 1983 Cat 225 and already have a 1968 Cat D4D, and a 1980 Case580 backhoe

  8. #8Dickjr.2016-05-16 20:12

    Try emailing the guy. Offer him 12 if he sends you 6 and the loader first.