Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Massey Ferguson 300 Crawler

mr.horsepower · 2016-05-16 09:46

Hi All, Can any one help with parts or know where you can get parts for a Massey Ferguson 300 Crawler? Regards

Replies38
  1. #1DMiller2016-05-16 17:29

    Massey, Case and IH are all one big somewhat unhappy family now, I would check with the closest Case Construction dealer.

  2. #2mitch5042016-05-16 22:47

    Nope, Massey isn't part of Case New Holland. Massey Ferguson ag tractors are part of Agco. There are still active Massey Ferguson dealers, but I don't know if they support those dozers or not. If they don't, try http://www.minnpar.com/ good luck on edit; I looked, minnpar supports Hanomag/ Massey stuff, which I think covers those dozers. I'd call them 800-889-3382

  3. #3DMiller2016-05-17 05:37

    I suspect not as AGCO does not support Allis construction machines where CNH does use and has parts for my old machine also once part of the FA family. Many of Minnpar parts for me come in CNH packaging.

  4. #4mitch5042016-05-17 08:14

    It sure is hard to say who supports what anymore. So many companies and parts of companies were traded from one conglomerate to another until we settled on near useless CNH, which is owned by Fiat, which bought the construction side of Allis Chalmers, and made Fiat Allis. I'm pretty sure the ** 300 was made by Hanomag, and minnpar claims Hanomag/Massey. For the stuff I've tried (A-W mostly) Minnpar hasn't been great, but they do have a lot nobody else does. I hope Mr Horsepower lets us know who does support them, for general interest, and because a friend just bought one.

  5. #5DMiller2016-05-17 11:20

    Could use the same info, neighbor owns one in somewhat derelict but running shape, a 226? I believe.

  6. #6mr.horsepower2016-05-17 18:46

    Thank you all, I have already emailed Minnpar. Keeping fingers crossed. I brought my ** 300 crawler from the owner that brought it new. Within the last 10 years he had motor rebuilt, new track chains, grouser plates, front idlers, rear sprocket & both hydraulic pumps & was doing only 20-30 hours of work a year. Since I brought it I have re-conditioned radiator, changed it over to a alternator power, new gauges & wiring, made up new rubber engine mounts. It's running excellent now! Just got lots of oil leaks to work on next.

  7. #7Dapperdan162016-05-17 20:45

    Hi Mr. horsepower, any chance of you posting some pictures of your ** 300 crawler? I'd love to see it, also, maybe try posting in the old iron section on the forum, someone there may know of a source for parts, " just a guess, not sure if it's old enough" might be a stupid question, but did you ask the guy you bought it from where he got parts for it? Danny

  8. #8Welder Dave2016-05-18 00:22

    The MF300 was designed in Detroit and made by the ** Industrial and Construction Machinery Division (ICM) in Italy. The Hanomag **'s didn't come until about 1975/76 when ** bought Hanomag but they were the larger 600 and 700 series. Some users have said the ** crawlers and excavators were ahead of their time.

  9. #9mitch5042016-05-18 22:02

    Oh, ok, I new Hanomag fit in there somewhere.

  10. #10Ross Englot2018-10-18 16:01

    I am looking for a exaust maniflod for my 300 massey.

  11. #11DMiller2018-10-18 16:17

    If willing to check in the states, Try General Gear Boise ID or Zimmerman Tractor of Versailles MO.

  12. #12Ross Englot2018-10-18 16:27

    ok thank you

  13. #13Tones2018-10-18 16:54

    All M/F construction equipment ran Perkins engines. That would be a good starting point

  14. #14Welder Dave2018-10-19 00:48

    No, not all ** construction equipment ran Perkins. Most of the smaller stuff did but there a few exceptions and the Hanomag machines and larger wheel loaders used different engines.

  15. #15Tones2018-10-19 02:21

    All the ** stuff I ever saw including the 100,200,300 and 400 dozer/loaders,wheel loaders, backhoe of the same era (30 I think), 450 excavator all Perkins powered. Hanomag being of German origins would have used Deutz or similar. So when Hanomag took over is probably when all the model numbers changed to 4 digits.

  16. #16JimInOz2018-10-19 17:44

    ** Industrial parts are tough to find anywhere.The tractor/Ag dealers usually won't/cannot help. I know the 300,200 & 2244 were sold in UK,Australia,Canada & maybe the USA.But when the Industrial side went bad in the 80s ,parts dried up. There was a company- maybe St Josephs Equipment -that might have dealt with them at some point. Dismantlers are your best bet...especially in Europe. John@ General Gear Idaho ,supplies new steering parts.I imagine the Perkins engine parts are available,as is track gear. They were made from 1970 to maybe early 80s.My uncle bought one (Loader) new in 73. Jim

  17. #17Baldrick2021-07-14 21:47

    Hi all. I am new to this sight and see some old posts about Hanomag ? Massey Ferguson 300 crawlers, but am wondering if anyone has found a good source for spare parts recently. I have just purchased one an need fuel and hydraulic tank as they have rusted away after years sitting outside by sea. Any help would be appreciated.

  18. #18Welder Dave2021-07-15 01:13

    Would probably have to weld up new fuel and hyd. tanks. I'd be worried about other components being too rusted to be operational. On another forum an owner who had 3 or 4 MF300's said they were ahead of their time and better than newer models put out by Cat, JD and other's. He also had an MF450S excavator that he couldn't find a fault with anything but sadly lost it in a shop fire. He said all the ** industrial machines were ahead of their time. My former neighbor purchased a couple MF450S excavators new in 1969 and 1970 and said they were one of the 1st really advanced excavators. He purchased a few more used units over the years too. He put about 30,000 hours on one of them.

  19. #19JimInOz2021-07-16 00:30

    PHIL HUNT PARTS in Tamworth ,Australia is about the only wrecker of ** Industrial I know. In NZ,I think Eagle Spares would have helped in the past. There is the odd ** discussion comes up on the CMN forums.

  20. #20Tones2021-07-18 04:29

    I can vouch for Phil Hunt, know their stuff

  21. #21aircommuter2023-05-26 21:47

    I see this old thread. I restored a Massey Ferguson mf400 made in 1975 by Landini tractor of Italy which was owned by massey.

  22. #22Welder Dave2023-05-26 22:06

    It wasn't Landini anymore in 1975. ** built a factory in Aprillia in 1967/68 to build crawler tractors and excavators that were designed in the US. I'd have to look but I think they had another factory or 2 in Italy as well. MF400 was a good sized machine and had the legendary 6-354 Perkins engine. It might help others if you could list where you got parts or service advice from.

  23. #23aircommuter2023-05-27 01:35

    My restoration is posted in its entirety on tractor by net. Listed as another restoration. Engine parts were purchased from Reliance parts. Hydraulic hoses from Surplus Center and adapters to metric from Hose and Fittings.com. I manufactured numerous other parts. Manuals were purchased on eBay. I was a heavy equipment mechanic 57 years ago, then went into the grading and underground business, so I was still a mechanic too.

  24. #24Welder Dave2023-05-27 20:34

    I just noticed it's missing the ** ICM badge on the front. Do you have any more pics. of it?

  25. #25aircommuter2023-05-27 21:23

    Yes and the parts book doesn’t show one either. The decals are custom made to match the original font and location per OE. There are dozens of pictures on tractor by net and the narrative. The hood and other panels were all missing. So I made those here along with others. I made the hood so it could be tilted on stainless steel hinges. I bought it with a frozen engine for $2400 delivered. The injectors were removed for rebuild? I guess they never got around to finishing it so water was in the cylinders and rusted tight. I saved it from being scrapped.

  26. #26Welder Dave2023-05-27 23:00

    My former neighbor had owned a few MF450S excavators over the years. 2 were bought new in 1969 and 1970. He said they were one of the 1st really advanced excavators. They used the 6-354 as well. They had the ** industrial badge on the grill. I have the World Wide Guide to ** Industrial and Construction equipment. It has a pic. of an MF400 loader from a US brochure. The ROPS is a little different with different mounting points and a rear screen and front sweeps. Also the decals are a little different but those could have changed for different years or countries. It has big ** decals in black on front corner of the hood and 400 in white below the letters. The optional ripper is the same and it lists a 1.5 cu. yd. Drott 4 in 1 bucket with teeth as an option. The standard bucket is 1.625 cu. yd's. It's interesting that the MF300 and 400 didn't appear to have B models like 200 and 500 but went to C models. The 400C has a completely different design for the lift arms. Your MF400 looks really nice.

  27. #27aircommuter2023-05-28 00:33

    The parts manual shows different variations of the exhaust and air cleaner locations also naturally a different hood to match. Plus other variations by year and of course serial numbers. This machine is slightly heavier than the Case 855D I bought new in 1986. This one will just be for around here. Since I retired to a passive business in 2003. But the projects here will keep going. Don’t know how I had time to do work for others. I couldn’t find ripper teeth so I am making some. I have a JCB backhoe with a Perkins of course and had others too. They are quick starting and durable. That 5” stroke really gives it that low speed torque and a nice sound. The crankshaft checked out to standard and no measurable or out of roundness. Looked like new.

  28. #28OzDozer2023-05-28 07:32

    That's a superb restoration, full credit to your restoration/mechanical/fabrication skills!

  29. #29Welder Dave2023-05-28 10:57

    You don't many ** industrial machines so it's a treat to see one restored. There are some who have said they were ahead of their time.

  30. #30aircommuter2023-05-28 12:08

    One thing I am looking for is a picture of the backside of the Drott bucket. I have seen some but they were different models. It appears that there was a cover for the clam cylinders. Maybe I would fab some if I had a proper picture. I alway had sweeps on my othe machines but the muffler location blocks them on this machine and the muffler mount is hard to change as it is welded to the mainframe. I have few more things to do to this machine then I was planning a YouTube video. Walk around drive look and hear the real thing. When that engine is spooled up you can feather forward and reverse while having full hydraulic power and it doesn’t slow down, either the tracks spin or the dirt moves.

  31. #31aircommuter2023-05-28 12:21

    More pictures.

  32. #32aircommuter2023-05-28 12:26

    It only allows 4 at a time.

  33. #33Maineman2023-06-13 20:56

    This is a dozer my grandfather bought new in the 70’s . I just painted it and thought I’d share it

  34. #34Welder Dave2023-06-14 01:19

    Very nice! On another forum several years ago there was a guy who owned 2 or 3 MF300's and said they were ahead of their time and better than some much newer dozers. I see it's also missing the ** industrial badge on the grill. It has weld on sprocket rims so I'm wondering if it's using original ** undercarriage or it was modified to use a more common undercarriage? That seems to be the biggest issue with the MF300 as the undercarriage was discontinued. The same rails were used on the MF450S excavators. It looks like your machine might need new undercarriage fairly soon too.

  35. #35Maineman2023-06-14 03:26

    The chains got new pins and bushings and the sprockets were available through Berco . I found a recipe that said the front idlers were from a TD7 . Bottom rolls we had built up by a machine shop on an automatic welder . Seals for the bottom rolls matched up to I believe a caterpillar part number . The top rolls were the only thing unavailable, at the time . I build those up myself with a mug welder . If I’m not mistaken, the top roll bearing and seal were matched up at our local Napa with some aftermarket parts. That machine had to have over 10,000 hours on it easily . Cleared many acres of farm land

  36. #36Welder Dave2023-06-14 03:31

    10,000+ hours is quite a few for a machine that size. Great that it's still earning its keep.

  37. #37Maineman2023-06-14 03:50

    We had done the engine too. But never a lick of trouble with the transmission or steering clutches . I’ve just sold it as a matter of fact

  38. #38Welder Dave2023-06-14 14:16

    Might have been nice to keep in the family.