We are draining the transmission & bevel gear compartment oils on our old 941 (80H2988) loader & replacing all filters, oils, & cleaning the screens etc. & I wanted to ask if there is a way to drain the torque converter completely as well while we are at it, or does it pretty well drain out into the transmission when we drop the oil in that compartment? By the looks of things, it has been a while since it was done, as the filters & screen were pretty well plugged up. The screen under the seat was all bulged out from being plugged........we have only owned the machine since last Oct. We blocked her up a bit, to better gain access to the "tight quarters" under the machine.
Take a look at posts #144 and #145 of the thread "Cat 941B Track Bushing Replacement Help", Nige's response to my questions may help you out
Thanks for your reply...........we actually did change the oils in the torque/transmission/bevel gear compartment, earlier in the week, along with the 2 filters & cleaned the screen under the seat as well. Good thing we did as the bevel gear compartment actually had #90 gear oil in it, put in by the previous owner!! Since the oil/ filter change, the hyd actuated the pedal steer works considerably better. We filled the compartments with T-04 #30 weight oil as a replacement.
I would be measuring the rail dimensions before too long, seems to be a lot of distance shoe to shoe. Excess pin/bushing wear can lead to a thrown rail at very poor timing.
If the gap between shoes is what you are referring to, I believe that is from excessive wear on the shoes themselves, with the edges where the shoes lap worn sharp & shortened & in some cases there are pieces missing leaving the gap even bigger. The rails/pins/bushings are actually quite good. One of the previous owners had installed the "worn out" shoes on good rails it appears.
I had to go back and look at the posts just to remember what we were talking about ..... However based on what the OP said found when he removed the other screen I would be removing every plug in the system just to see what was behind it...... Also an idea if you're not sure what has been in a particular compartment before (as in the case of EP oils which are a definite no-no) and the oil specification for that compartment is TO-4 of whatever viscosity. Get some cheap hydraulic oil and fill to the minimum mark then run the machine gently for about 1 hour and drain. You may be slightly amazed at the colour of what comes out.... Fill with the required viscosity of TO-4 and away you go.
In retrospect, doing a flush would have been a great idea in my case..........however, given the fact that I already have the new ( and expensive ) T-04 in there, I think I will take my chances, given the fact that it is only a hobby machine & only gets about 30 hrs. annually put on it.
I hear you. The way I look at it is that if a machine has ever had the "wrong" oil in it like your did then it's always worth a flush to make sure everything is properly cleaned out. I know that hindsight is 20/20 vision but always bear this in mind - good oil and filters is the best insurance policy for your equipment that you'll ever buy - bar none .......