Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1973 John Deere 410 Backhoe Hydraulic Trouble

HayesFan82 ยท 2014-06-08 23:10

I have a 1973 410 John Deere Backhoe. It is new to me, so I do not have all the history. However it is having hydraulic problems. The hydraulics are slow, pump sounds like its starving for oil. I have changed both filters, with no change. Levels look good. Transmission has no issues, forward and reverse are fine. Can anyone point me in the next best direction..

Replies2
  1. #1lantraxco2014-06-09 02:04

    Lots of possibilities, the pump is fed from the transmission on these so you may need to get a manual and take some pressure readings. Couple things I would check right off, first the pump drive, it's a cast split splined deal that was known to wear out and slip on the pump shaft: And in the pump control head there is a strainer screen that filters the control oil used to stroke the pump, I think you remove it from the bottom, make sure it's clean, and check the little needle valve on the top of the control head I think it's supposed to be backed all the way out, it's used to destroke the pump I think for cold starting but my memory is not clear on that:

  2. #2ANDREW C2014-06-09 21:36

    I just spent a bit of time diagnosing one of these pumps on another machine. I read through the tech manual for this pump cover to cover trying to figure a problem out. The valve on top can be configured many different ways. It could have a plug in the port so you cant manually stroke it, a tee handle or 1/2" nut on top or an electric solenoid used for cold start. The tee handle/ nut style should be backed out all the way during normal operation. I found on the one I had if I turned it in and out it improved how fast the pump came in to stroke. It must have had a bit of something in it. By the sound of what you are experiencing I think there is a chance there is something wrong in the supply pressure to the pump from the transmission. In the bottom picture there is two plugs (20) Put a gauge in them. One port will be pump discharge pressure (pump stand by) and the other will be charge pressure (oil supplied to the pump from the transmission) The pump I tested had M14 test plugs in it but some had 6 orb plugs. The charge pressure should be from 50 psi to 130 psi at 2000RPM. If this pressure is low you will have to check your transmission/ filter/ oil cooler. The pump stand by pressure should be 2300-2400psi at 2000 RPM. I found the transmission filter by pass springs weak and also oil cooler by pass spring weak. Post your results and Ill try to help out. There are a couple other guys on here that know a lot about these older backhoes.