Hi to all, I am new to the forum and would like as much fact and opinion as possible about my subject. I have a 1974 case b450 w/a 188 motor,6 way hyd blade and rops that a guy wants to trade for my 68 firebird. My intention is to trade even for the dozer and trailer. Aside from driving armored/tracked vehicles in the army I have little practical experience on a dozer except for about 3 months worth on a dozer in Iraq. Please offer any experiences with this machine that you have, good and bad. I intend to use it part time for site prep, ponds, land clearing, etc... generally what ever work I can get to gain seat time and if it goes well I might leave my government job and do it full time. But, only if I get LOTS of work and feel real safe doing so. I do plan to advertise that any honorably discharged veteran will recieve discounted service when using my services, might help me get a foot in the door around here. I was told the b450 weighed between 11,000 and 12,000 lbs. is this true and if so what do you think of using a GMC C70 dual rear axle dump truck w/a 427bbc motor to pull it around with? The gvw of the truck is a bit over 44,000 lbs. Thanks to all for your responce and if you have any other comments or recomendations on starting this type of business, please feel free to post them.
extra Ment to mention, I will be posting pics of the dozer asap, I have them just need to figgure out how to attach them.
The truck should have no problem pulling that dozer, especially with the lack of hills in Florida. My biggest concern is always stopping power. Does the truck have air brakes? Will the trailer have brakes? We have a case 450 dozer built in 1978 & we still use it about 10 days a month. It is not as comfortable as a new one & it looks a little rough, but it still runs well & it does all we need it to. We have owned since 1982 though, so I know how it has been operated most of its life.
I have, on the desk in front of me, an operator's manual for a 450B crawler. It covers both the dozer and loader models. You called yours a "b450", by which I presume you mean its a plain old 450, dozer. This manual says the engine is a 207. (Probably one difference between yours and the B model.) It doesn't list the weight of the machine anywhere that I can find it. I hauled the machine around on occasion with a single axle Ford 750 with a 391 gas, so the GMC you're talking about should do ok with it. Anyway, It's been quite a few years since I was on a 450, but one thing I was cautioned about, and found to be true--the brakes are not very good. There are lots of crawlers out there with pedal steer, as opposed to the steering handles on the Case. What I was told was, that you DON"T want to steer these machines with the brake pedals, because the brakes won't last. As I said, that turned out to be true, because even without using them to steer, they didn't last. Other than that, I remember it as a pretty decent machine. If there's anything I can look up for you in this manual, just ask.
I can vouch for what digger said about the brakes. I actually forgot, b/c I NEVER use them. They were so bad, Dad taught me to run it without brakes "b/c you never know when they are going to go out." One thing about a case is that you can steer the machine fine without using the brakes. The newer machines do not have the problems, but those old ones sure do. It has never been any concern to me, even on some of the big hills we have here in West Virginia. One guy that works for us likes to use brakes & they actually seem to work well, as long as they are used often.
"Does the truck have air brakes? Will the trailer have brakes?" Yes, the truck has air brakes but I am not sure about the trailer. If it does not I will be installing it. In my younger years I had a bad experience with a trailer w/o them and will not have one w/o again.
" You called yours a "b450", by which I presume you mean its a plain old 450, dozer. This manual says the engine is a 207. (Probably one difference between yours and the B model.)" I called the case dealer in georgia and used the sn number and he said it def had the 188 in it and that he was pretty sure it was 58-61 hp.
When in the army we never used brakes either so that should not be a problem for me since I was taught not to use them as well, thanks for the info.
tie downs I have seen several threads about tie down specs by d.o.t., did not know there was such a thing but I can see where it makes sense. Too many people not taking enough precautions I guess so they stepped in and mandated certain ways to do it.
furry rodents I should have mentioned that I intended to hunt squirrels with a dozer in my text...maybe I would have as many responces as the new guy with the d8. Joking of course...
Dozer envy drove me to make that last post, you know...his is bigger than mine kinda thing.
I think the reason is, that on balance, there are a whole lot more D-8s out there than there are Case 450s, and as a consequence, a whole lot more guys have had seat time on the Cats, or at least some relevant experience. Reference rodent hunting, for what it's worth--I once pushed into a plie of garbage on site, and it just exploded with rats, running in every direction. I chased some of them around with the machine, and actually succeeded in killing a few. It was great fun. The machine I was on, was a Case 450.
more pic's
I understand that the site does say HEAVY equip and the case 450 sure does not outweigh a d8 and I hope everyone knew I was getting a laugh and at the same time trying to draw more responces to my thread w/o anyone thinking i was an a*s. Hope my pics give enough for everyone to see if the dozer is bad or good and can give some responces to that effect.
I figured that, but at the same time, not everybody browsing the forums might understand that sometimes the number of replies a thread gets has to do with how common a machine might be out in the world, so I thought I'd mention it anyway. As far as what's "heavy" goes, it's all relative. We've got lots of "green industry" guys who's heaviest piece is a skid loader, and we've got people that spend enough time on D-11s that a D-8 would feel small. I think we have a nice cross-section of the whole industry represented here. And there's room for all types. I can tell you right now, that your tracks need adjusted. Are they just loose, or are they worn?
I dont know for sure, by looking at the pic's it seams it could be either. I have not seen it in person yet, the pic's are from the seller. He and I are looking to do a long distance deal and both of us will drive half way. The owner bought out a construction business and does not need the dozer and put out an add wanting to trade for a hot rod. I am now waiting for a video of the machine in the mail from him so I can get a closer look. I have an experienced friend/heavy equip mechanic who is willing to ride along and check out the dozer in person when we get there. I know there are some pitfalls and chances I am taking although I am attempting to limit them as much as possible. Everyone know that hot rods are a net loss and you can only get your money back through the enjoyment. So my intention is to trade a net loss into a potential net gain item. Yes, I may get a money pit in return but I hope I am taking the proper percautions needed to avoid that. Would anyone be willing to make a guess based on the pictures and assuming it runs good (like the owner says) to say what this machine's estimated value would be?
My opinion, based solely on pictures alone, is that it is a good looking machine. The paint appears to be in good shape, little or no damage to the sheetmetal and I don't see any big wet spots where dirt has collected. Aside from the tracks sagging, I would have taken a look too. Having said that, there are other guys here more versed on dozers than I, sothey might spot something I'm missing. Good luck with your venture. :drinkup
The dozer looks real good. The stickers are in better shape than our 94 case 455C track loader. The tracks do look like they need adjusted, which is easy to do. You just have to pump grease in behind the idler wheel & it will push it out. If you try out the loader, you need to pump them up, then run the machine for about 20 minutes & see if they collapse back in. If they do, then it may need some bushings replaced. Not very hard to do, but it does take some time. It seems like it has been taken care of, but I am not 100% sure the hour meter is a Case original.
Is it me, or do the track pads appear to be bent inward a little on the ends? That was the reason I asked whether the undercarriage was worn, (but I didn't want to plant that suggestion in anybody's mind.) That would indiacte the possibility of it needing UC work in the not too distant future.
Tracks look OK to me I think they just need adjusting, I see it seams there is plenty of adj. left looking at the front idlers. Sprockets don't appear to be sharp at the tips yet either. Of coarse the pics may not reveal all wear & tear also the resent pressure washing will camo small fluid leaks as well. Then again the guy maybe a clean freak and washes it after every job.
Thanks This information is very much appreciated, thanks to you all.
Anyone have a Case 450 crawler dozer operator's manual they could copy or scan for me?
Jensales does a good job of keeping older manuals in print. The are scans of the originals, but that usually good manuals.
Was that the dozer that was on CraigsList a few weeks ago in Crestview? If so it's going to need a ton of $$ to fix up. The one I looked at need a new water pump, u/c and clutches.
Thanks StumpJumper. I ended up ordering one from "Yesterdays Tractors"
That looks like one clean old 450 to me. I would dump your firechicken for that girl in a minute. Good luck with it. doug
All those hydraulic hoses near the frame are for sure destined to be hooked by something sharp and deadly. But at least they are accessable compared to the version Case came out with a few years later by being wise and snaking the lines thru the frame of the blade......Brilliant!!!!!!
Hunt squirrels with a dozer??? Brilliant! That could be a new event at the "Redneck Games"! Looks like a nice little dozer to me.