Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1974 case 580b

dibbsvtx ยท 2016-04-02 09:11

Has anyone ever used synthetic oil in diesel engine on 1974 580b

Replies5
  1. #1Billrog2016-04-02 11:59

    Sold one with over 20,000 hrs. on it and it had never seen synthetic oil. The new owner phoned me up a year later for some transfer papers so he could licence it and said it was still going strong.

  2. #2Nige2016-04-02 12:08

    The question that comes to my mind is why would you want to use an expensive oil in something that would probably run quite happily on second-hand filtered cooking oil from the fryer at your local KFC..?

  3. #3dibbsvtx2016-04-02 13:14

    Thanks for your input, I was just curious. I'll keep running delo 15w40...

  4. #4Delmer2016-04-02 13:38

    I think what Nige meant was the oil in an old engine like that will get so dirty, so fast that the longer life and better performance of synthetic won't make any difference to the barrel that holds your drain oil. The quality of modern oil is so much better than what that engine was designed for back in the 60's. With the possible exception of zinc, but you won't get that in synthetic.

  5. #5Billrog2016-04-02 21:41

    I had that backhoe for 5 years and it had 1 quirk. The temp . would never get above luke warm so I took a look no thermostat stuck one in and immediately it started eating antifreeze had to be going out the exhaust because there was none in the oil. Took it back out and ran it for years never adding any antifreeze and told the guy when he bought it don't install a thermostat. He lived on Vancouver Island and it doesn't get cold where he was so he said no problem.