Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1974 Cat D5 Throttle Lever Detent problem

Hambone33 ยท 2018-01-24 15:56

I own a 1974 model Cat D5 that was working fine when I shut it down a few weeks ago. Today when I started it up the throttle lever detent will not keep the lever in the full on position. I tried holding it back and pushing the decelerator pedal and it works fine that way but the lever will no longer stay in the full throttle position. I'm not familiar with the throttle assembly so I thought I would ask for advice before just starting to take things apart. How do I get to the detent that holds the throttle in the full throttle position and what should I look for when I get into it?

Replies4
  1. #1Old Magnet2018-01-24 18:54

    There is a roller clutch on the shaft at the base of the handle that is supposed to hold position. Take it apart, clean it up and light lube (two rollers and a spring). If the cam/ramp is worn out the shaft assembly will need to be replaced.

  2. #2Hambone332018-01-24 21:03

    OK, thanks. Got in there and found the cam assembly. Not sure about wear cause I don't know what a new one looks like. I will take the cam into my local CAT dealer and see if they have a new one so I can compare. My guess is that is probably the problem. Thanks for the info.

  3. #3Hambone332018-01-26 19:07

    You were right, once i got it cleaned up i could see that there was very little wear on the cams or rollers the springs were all gummed up with old grease and dirt. a good cleaning and it works fine.

  4. #4Old Magnet2018-01-28 11:34

    Nice to have an easy fix once in awhile!!!