I am shopping for my first dozer. How wide of a blade can you get and stay under 102” for transport without permits? I know you can tilt them and reduce the width but am not sure how far they tilt. I am sure a 105” blade can be made to transport under 102” but what about a 120”? I am mainly looking at Deere as I have an awesome dealer and already own four Deere machines.
Where do you live? Many states have annual permits that are machine specific which greatly reduces move cost and is convenient since you don't have to permit each move individually. I don't think you can angle or tilt a 120" blade enough to get down to 102". Often the manufacturer has a spec on their data sheet showing width with blade fully angled etc.
I am in Texas. If they have annual it might not be a big deal. We have a semi and a step deck with dovetail but I have never hauled anything oversize. We move around a lot so I wanted to avoid having to get a permit every time.
Not sure about there, but here you can buy an annual permit to haul anything up to 12 feet wide. It's limited to the truck it was purchased for, but it's less than 500 dollars a year.
Tx is gravy. 30,60 and 90 day blanket permits. I think the 30 day was like $120. It's been a while since I've ordered any. Here's the link to get setup. It's all online and instant issue. https://txpros.txdmv.gov/
Just looked it up, and here a 12 month permit for up to 16 feet wide is only 399 bucks
Hmm, not really surprised about that given that half of the US drilling activity is in Texas right now. It takes 80 to 90 (Or sometimes more) truckloads to move a drilling rig and its equipment to a new site. Those trucks always look grossly overloaded and overwidth, but if a blanket permit allows it, I guess anything rolls.
I'm a long way from Texas, but I do know that we are allowed to haul more weight here. I spoke to an America driver on the ferry to PEI, and we figured that I could legally scale his truck trailer and load on my trailer because I had one extra axle on my trailer. Could be why our roads are so poor.
Tx is pretty liberal with their weights and sizes. However, they will nail your donkey. One big trenching outfit got caught multiple times overweight with one specific machine. Tx went back to every permit they purchased for said machine and back charged them the fines for each and every move they made.....6 figures in fines. Under 14' wide no escort, under 110' long (if memory serves) no escort. 10' wide and under 100' long night travel on interstate. Bridges are well marked etc. Easy state to navigate oversize. With proper lead time I was gettin permits for a 13 axle grossing darn near 300,000. Also they were one of the first states to go completely automated with the permit process and it worked well almost from day 1.