Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Are broken hour gauges normal?

Alexp08 ยท 2016-12-22 22:36

Im still in my search for a backhoe and im curious if the hour meter breaks often on these machines. Ive ran into countless ones where the people say the hour meter isnt working so theyre not sure the exact hours..etc..yet curiously enough they still want top dollar. Anyways is this a common problem? When i see one should i run for the hills or still entertain the idea of buying it? Thanks Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Replies11
  1. #1Welder Dave2016-12-22 23:10

    The hour meter is the last thing to rely on when checking a machine out unless there is a very detailed maintenance record showing hours with the machine. Often on larger machines, a new hour meter is fitted when the engine and/or complete machine are rebuilt. On the other hand some people may put a new or lower hour meter on a machine to make it appear better than it is. Overall condition and how it operates are much more important than what a meter reads.

  2. #2xgiovannix122016-12-22 23:13

    I agree with dave I never go with hour meter readings. Check for sloppyness,smoke,fluids ,condition of buckets ,Leaks, Cracks in the boom and arms. Im sure im forgetting some things :Banghead best of luck on the hunt

  3. #3Alexp082016-12-23 19:12

    Thanks guys. I just remember someone saying in another thread that if i get something with 8k hours it will soon be needing an overhall Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  4. #4Welder Dave2016-12-24 15:42

    Depends entirely on how a particular machine was maintained. An 8000 hour machine may have had a lot of it's components previously rebuild or repaired.

  5. #5Dickjr.2016-12-24 16:51

    I have a 416C and the hour meter was reading 4700 =/- hours a few days later I looked at it and it read 77777.7. I need to change it to keep a more accurate detail of exactly how many hours are on it. I am the main operator and have a mental note of the hours ran on it. I'm like the others condition of the machine overall means a lot. My machine is about 5500 hrs now and after using newer rentals there's just not a lot of difference in performance. Just a few rattles here and there and the hydraulic hoses are getting dry needing replacement. I did change out all the hoses on the rear and resealed all the cylinders on the rear. About 2200$ worth but the machine is paid for so that amount beats a 2200 a month payment.

  6. #6Alexp082016-12-24 17:30

    Yeah i definitely agree that if someone maintained their machine the hours dont mean too much but ive yet to come in contact with a machine where someone has kept a record of maintenance they have done to it. Possibly why im still looking lol Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  7. #7CASE12342016-12-25 13:42

    The older hour meter gauges are basically are made like a watch . With all the temp change, dust, dirt they usually will go bad. newer digital are probably better. Having said that the maintence on those machines are critical. visual inspection with records will tell you basically what you want to know as well is if you can trust the seller. just my 3 cents worth.

  8. #8Buickspec62312016-12-25 14:22

    The backhoe I bought, the previous owner had disconnected the cable to the hour meter. It says something like 3400hrs. I'd say it's well over that. Machine was well maintained while the previous owner was still around, once he passed and his grandkids got a hold of it on the farm, they probably took half the life out of her due to misuse. For what I paid, I'm way ahead still with some minor repairs done though.

  9. #9NH575E2016-12-25 18:40

    I have a used tractor that came with a non working hour meter reading 2700 hours. The hour meter in my backhoe was literally smashed at about 3200 hours. Not sure how you manage to smash a side intrument panel in a cab tractor but they took out the tach and all.

  10. #10xgiovannix122016-12-25 19:18

    anger issues lol

  11. #11Hazcat2017-01-28 01:26

    I think my 1975 case 1845 hour meter is in the 5000 range and still works although the machine has had a hard life I think it was rolled and beaten and used to train attack dozers before I got it. The one in the cat has been stuck on 889 hours for as long as I have had it, dads old JD I don't think has an hour meter(built before hours were invented) and the bobcat t320 works and keeps track of maintenance. Hours don't mean as much as the owner and the operator.