Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1977 Case 580C Backhoe

Posey ยท 2020-03-22 11:40

I had the engine rebuilt on my 1977 Case 580C backhoe couple of years ago, and all is good. I also replaced the three engine/transmission mounts. Since then hydraulic pump and coupler have had the splines wiped twice. On both occasions I did replace both the coupler and pump. Obviously something is causing this to happen. Until I had the engine rebuilt and replaced the engine mounts, the pump and coupler had never been replaced. I should say I always attach the coupler to the pulley, and tighten the bolts while they are accessible. When installing the pump this last time, I had a hard time getting it to align to the coupler.

Replies3
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-03-22 11:55

    Welcome to HEF, Posey ! Are the bolts tight in the front engine support (#1) ? Are the dowl pins in place and tight (#5) ? Does the hydraulic pump fit nice and snug in the front mount ? Stripping those splines is almost a certain indication something is loose or not aligned properly.

  2. #2Posey2020-03-22 13:07

    Hi Tinkerer, Thanks for your prompt reply! I will be sure to check all things you have mentioned. I purchased the parts I have used from reliableaftermarketinc parts on e-bay. I assume their parts are as good as any? I hope to tackle the job next weekend.

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-03-22 15:31

    Dale Wiess is a retired Case dealer that is selling OEM and aftermarket parts. He is a human encyclopedia on anything made by Case. I have been buying from him for many years. His website is here ---> http://e-backhoeparts.com/