Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1978 3400a backhoe steering problem

gnarles ยท 2014-09-14 23:17

Hello, I just changed hydraulic fluid and filter. Now steering doesn't work. I took pressure side steering hose off of mcv and didn't have much fluid coming out while engine ran. I re drained fluid and took out power steering relief valve out of mcv.Looked fine to me. I took flow divider plug and spring out but flow divider stayed in because of a collar or band holding it up,but I could push it up and down so it seemed to be free and able to move in its place. Put it all back together,refilled fluid and now everything seems jerky. I cycled everything a couple of times and still jerky and no steering.If I take weight off of front tires and spin wheel a few thousand times it will steer but feels spongy with air in system. Any words of encouragement?

Replies2
  1. #1gnarles2014-09-19 08:29

    1978 international harvester 3400a

  2. #2gnarles2014-09-24 21:27

    Had some time to tinker some more after work tonight. I cycled all cylinders a few times and the jerky motion started to clear up and steering started to feel a bit better like some miracle was going to fix this thing and suddenly.Poof tilt cylinder hose decides to blow right in my face!Glad hydraulics where just warming up and that I wear glasses.My left eye got a good load,but after a couple of wash downs of dawn dish soap.I am cleaned up enough to count my blessings. I was at an auction a few weeks ago and some punk kid was walking around saying "shred it! shred it!",of course meaning scrap this good old iron and send it to China.I felt like slapping him.I am pretty fond of old iron in general,but I am getting close to saying that tonight with this machine.Not much info out there on what I thought was a pretty modern machine. I have an old jd dozer that is 20 years older than this hoe and it pops off every time I pull the starter. Any way be careful out there people,life can change pretty quick.Thank god I have to wear glasses.