Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cleaning/flushing hydraulic tank

Scooby340 ยท 2014-09-14 21:22

Hello All, I drained and want to flush the hydraulic tank on my old Ford 5500. It only has the one tank on the left side with the remote filter mounted on the side of the engine hood/grill. There is a decent amount of sludge on the bottom of the tank. What is the best way to do this?? I thought about using a small steam cleaner that I have?? THX!!!

Replies2
  1. #1Tinkerer2014-09-15 07:48

    I would worry about contaminating the system with water from the steam cleaner. If you can isolate the tank in such a way as to prevent that, then it would be OK.

  2. #2AllDodge2014-09-15 13:00

    Guess I would disconnect lines and block them off and keep the drain open so everything flows back out. Take some diesel and pour it in fast as you can and do that a few times to get the big stuff out. Use another clean gallon of diesel as final rinse.