Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1979 Ford f600 towing info

Tennessee ยท 2015-04-08 22:04

Im looking at buying a 1979 Ford f600 dump vin#F60BKF32166 and can't find any towing limits anywhere. No stickers have survived the years of use. Any help would be very useful in me making my decision.

Replies4
  1. #1monster762015-04-08 22:36

    That depend allot on trailer as a general rule of thumb as long as your axles are not over wieght ussually you are good to go

  2. #2Tennessee2015-04-08 22:54

    Trailer weighs about 4000 and has a GVWR way more than the 16000 I'm needing. Its a dump so not much weight added from trailer. Its got a 300 straight 6 with a splitter that sort of worries me some. But the owner has pulled a 20000 dozer and said it did fine. Wish he still had it so i could try something heavy first.

  3. #3biggrader2015-04-08 23:22

    We had a 76 ( maybe 78, cant remember) f600 with the 361 gas and a 5 speed with a 2 speed rearend. Pulled a TLB weighing around 15000 on 9 ton trailer. If we got 40,000 miles on a motor it was a miracle. We live in the flatlands with no hills. It would pull it at 55-60 but she was screaming. Personally I would think the 300 might be a little underpowered.

  4. #4Tennessee2015-04-08 23:49

    Thanks for your impute. I won't be on any roads over 45 speed limit but its no where near flat. I guess when the motor goes I could put a v8 in it. Cant really afford to get something newer right now. Hope it makes it through this season. Might have a winter project?