Well I found another truck im interested in. Its a 1979 Mack R series. Its got new paint on the truck and dump body and on the frame. It has 300 Hp, 10foot dump body, new tires, air brakes, pintle hook, electric to rear, Manual tranny. The only problem is it needs a new drivers seat and it doesn't have air to the rear and its over cdl so I need to get one but I need it anyway. So, how hard is it to add air lines to the rear? Also, they are asking 18,500. To me it seems a little high so do you think its a good price?
I think that price is way high, In fact it would be high at half that price. Look around some, there are much better deals out there. As far as the air lines, it's no real problem. I had them installed in my single axle dump for around $500. If the truck already has a tractor control valve installed it is very easy and much cheaper.
I would walk away from it because when it says new paint new box means somebody probably has slapped the truck together to get rid of it. Without seeing the truck in person or pictures hard to say to tell you to buy it. I assume its a single axle if its a tandem its awfully short To start out with a 79 is a old truck second thing R model single axles are rare so getting parts for it might be tough. The truck probably has a 5spd if your lucky you would want atleast a 8spd or a Mack 12spd. Another problem Macks have is severe cab rust I assume thats why its been repainted. A good single axle would be to try find a L-8000 Ford with 8.3 ISC Cummins power or one with a 7.8 Ford diesel.
www.truckpaper.com is a great resource if you're looking to buy.
Yes, its a single axle. The box isn't new and has always been a dump I've seen them using it for a while now. Also, looking at the truck there doesn't seem to be rust on the cab but maybe it's hidden. I'll try to get some pics. tomorrow. Thanks.
I would look at an IH 4900. There is one that just popped up in somerville NJ. Pick up Big Truck and equipment or look on line. There's a 94 with 45k original miles. Comes with a 30,000 lb equipment Trailer and the asking price is $24,000. Vertical exhaust with low miles probably means it was born a Dump truck. Sell the trailer if you don't need it and offer the guy 22-23 for the whole package and you're down around 18-19 for the truck. If I hadn't purchased my 4900 a month ago, I'd be down their tonite checking it out and negotiating a price
do you know where in somerville? Sounds like a steal.
Check out TruckTraderOnline.com They show the number (908)218-0320) Or go to a 7-11 and pick up this weeks Big Truck and Equipment Trader. Sounds like a good deal and you can see picture of the Truck. Probably worth checking out, but if its a really good deal, see it sooner than later. Good luck
How about this 84 Mack U Modle with 250 hp motor 5 speed Air and electric to rear with pintle hook new paint possibly 90k miles 10 foot dump with coal shute. For sale in NJ 5 grand for truck 4 grand for tag along Or a 80 something maybe early 90s ford f650 or f750 with pintle air and electric, dump, 10 ft, used for paving, Clean, needs a new clutch. 5 grand
2 other fords i know of for sale 1 is a larger L series, single axle, dump, clean $18k Another was a larger looked like an F750, with a heavy duty suspension, would be awesome for plowing, used for paving, clean unabused body. 25 grand he was asking.
The international in somerville said it was under cdl. I need a truck thats at least 33,000#'s. LaLaMan do you have some info on these trucks?
Call theses numbers and ask them, they are being sold privately Ace Paving Ledgewood nj, hes got a the f650 Ill have to drive around to find the numbers for the other ones