Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Broken axle on ’77 GMC bucket truck

uglytruk ยท 2006-09-09 02:58

Do the 5 spoke axles interchange with the steel wheel axle that I broke? Wish I could upload pix, but they're 112 kb's. A fraction too big. AO Smith and Budd, I was told. On a GMC 6500 series. 427 gas.

Replies18
  1. #1xkvator2006-09-09 08:59

    ug, click on the SUPPORT section down below...then download the resizing pics from microsoft that Jeff posted...works great

  2. #2Steve Frazier2006-09-09 11:03

    I pretty sure an axle is an axle, just make sure it is of the same weight rating and series, only the hubs are different to accept the different wheels. A call to the dealer would tell you for certain.

  3. #3Ford LT-90002006-09-09 13:37

    Are you talking about replacing the hole axle or just axle shafts ? What did you break on the current axle ?

  4. #4uglytruk2006-09-09 21:58

    Spline that goes into the pig sheared off... ...pushed the broken two inches out of the carrier, now it,s stuck in the goop. Gotta' pull the pumpkin to get it out, will try re-size to post... pix worth a thou...

  5. #5uglytruk2006-09-09 22:42

    Re-sizem Wow Baby, Works Great!!! Here's the pix... broken axle from blue bucket truck, silver steel wheel... rusty hulk is free partz... except that partz truck has greasy pig, bucket truck has newer pig and a bit of rust...

  6. #6uglytruk2006-09-09 22:57

    Struggling to load pix... Whew...

  7. #7Ford LT-90002006-09-09 23:57

    Oh boy that axle in the GMC is old you might have problems finding a axle shaft for that axle its a old old spicer. The one with the Dayton wheels doesn't look any better you might want to find another axle out of another truck. Are both axles single speed or is the GMC 2spd ? Getting the center chunk out is a job thats going to take some time you will have to have some help or use a comealong to pull the 3rd member out. The kick in the gonads is going to be that broken stub that still stuck in the side gear so its going to prevent the center chunk from coming out. Like I said maybe search for a 21,000lb rear axle out of a newer 5 ton GMC.

  8. #8Dwan Hall2006-09-10 02:42

    2 ways I have removed broken axle parts have been. I split a piece of PVC conduit (thinwall) that was just a little to small to go over the axle. /slide it into the housing and tap it over the proken piece and then pull it out. another way when the housing was to small to slide the PVC and broken piece out at the same time was after sliding a smaller piece of PVC into the housing till it touched the broken piece I then slid a steel rod down the inside of the PVC, connected an ark welder to the rod and turned down the amprage so the rod would stick to the broken piece. Both have worked. When on the highway 1 time I found a guy wire for a power pole with a yellow plastic cover over the guy wire and used it. That way worked the best.

  9. #9Countryboy2006-09-10 21:05

    Would a magnet be strong enough to pull it out?

  10. #10Dozerboy2006-09-10 23:01

    I don't think a magnet will cut it.

  11. #11uglytruk2006-09-11 00:56

    Magnet? HHmmmmmmmm... Tried a medium (5/8th") Chinese special on an extention. Never even got a "bite". Mite try a speaker magnet. Pulling the pumpkin is ugly!

  12. #12Dwan Hall2006-09-11 01:16

    I have done at least a dozen in the last 5 years with the split plasic method. never found a magnet strong enough also when I did try the magnet it always stuck to the side of the case making it hard to get into the axle housing. Someone else correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't you be able to push a small thin rod through from the other side, past the spider gear shaft. it would have to be real thin like 1/8" maybe. then push the broken end out? Whish I was there. it only takes about 30 seconds with the yellow plastic from the guy wire on a power pole

  13. #13Squizzy246B2006-09-11 05:18

    Due to the fragile nature of the old Land Rovers we used to run we always carried two rods in the vehicle. One rod had like a spoon welded on one end. The other was just a 3/8" rod. You stuck the spoon in the side that had the broken axle and pushed through from the other side until the broken piece was in the spoon, which could then be easily withdrawn without dropping the piece in the crown wheel housing. Then you dropped the tailshaft off to that diff and hit the 4 wheel drive and away you went. Those old Land rovers sure were fragile in the diff.....especially when some like 12 year old farm boy tried to do a big roll back with about 2 ton of superphosphate on the back:nono (couldn't sit down for a week after)

  14. #14Ford LT-90002006-09-11 18:28

    Hate to say it but you might have to pull the drop out, out because you could have a chunk of axle shaft floating around which will eventually get jammed into the pinion and crown or in the spiders. As I meantioned you may have problems finding a axle shaft as that axle is older than the hills.

  15. #15Dwan Hall2006-09-12 01:05

    Here is a picture of my plastic broken axle removal tool. you can find them on any power pole that needs bracing. I can't beleave I am in the middle of Alaska and can find specialty tools just laying around. you may have to cut 6 to 8 inches off the end to get rid of the tye strap to make it work. I now cary 1 behind the seat of my F600 10X10 all wheel drive because it goes through so many axles. Dwan If you find you have to go into the pig it might save you some time to just cut a hole in it with a 4" or so hole saw, clean it out, then weld a patch back over it. Unless it is cast.

  16. #16uglytruk2006-09-12 09:07

    Inspector... Youz guyz r grat! Rusty diff is Bucket truck, greasy is partz 2 speed. Will remove axle from greasy to compare

  17. #17uglytruk2006-09-12 09:12

    Guess which is partz truk? Partz wreck (427 gaz) also has a tach. It'd look good in my deezel Sub. Can it work?

  18. #18uglytruk2006-09-12 09:18

    A little mixed up, here's the tach...