Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1980 cat d3 transmission cooler

Joseph Truett · 2019-04-02 20:38

I recently purchased a solenoid for my starter. I went to install it I had to drop starter. When I did I had milky fluid come out. I was told trans cooler also told to bypass any help will be appreciated

Replies8
  1. #1Joseph Truett2019-04-02 20:42

    It is a cat d3 if I can bypass can I do this at radiator

  2. #2dennis sanders2019-04-03 20:26

    I figure you could bypass but I wouldnt if you're going to push any at all ...i had trouble with the cooler being plugged on my D4H2..flushed the radiator with Cascade a couple of times and opened it up...its there for a reason. Good luck

  3. #3kshansen2019-04-04 09:19

    My thoughts too, if in a pinch I would make sure the converter temp gauge was working and keep a close eye on it and then get the cooler replaced or fixed ASAP. Don't know how much that will cost but guessing much less than a fried transmission or converter!

  4. #4Joseph Truett2019-04-07 18:45

    I called a few radiator shop and was told to bypass by all them said reason being new fluids are alot more advanced and dissipate heat better which makes it not needed it has get so hit before it goes through cooling it my trans usually runs cooler than engine so it makes sense still pondering it is quite a but somewhere around 2 grand for new one sure could get little cheaper but still alot

  5. #5Nige2019-04-08 04:55

    Welcome to the world of running equipment. Nothing is cheap .......... As a suggestion for an aftermarket cooler try Offroad Equipment - www.offroadeq.com/

  6. #6dirthog2019-04-08 08:13

    Any radiator shop that tells you something like that would be the very last place I would take anything to be repaired!

  7. #7Mobiltech2019-04-08 08:48

    What’s your serial number?

  8. #8Old Magnet2019-04-08 11:27

    If this is like say a 27Yxxxx D3 the torque converter heat exchanger is built into the bottom of the radiator assembly, much like automotive units. Looks like complete radiator assembly replacement would be required. I don't buy the modern fluids as not requiring cooling. Bypass at your own risk.