Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil leak on a D4H2

dennis sanders · 2019-04-03 00:20

Today while spreading clay gravel I saw oil on the ground stopped and after looking underneath found oil under the oil pan...I am just curious and a bit nervous as to where its coming from..upper pan is dry...is there any engine oil hoses or lines under the pan..I am dropping the pan under the oil pan first thing in the morning..

Replies12
  1. #1dennis sanders2019-04-03 00:22
  2. #2dennis sanders2019-04-03 00:24

    Also I checked oil plug and its dry....crankshaft seal is dry..oil is coming from the pan I suspect..could it be from the dipstick tube.

  3. #3Vetech632019-04-03 07:23

    You would be best to remove the front belly pan under the engine. I have seen in the past a lot of dirt and debris buildup around an engine oil pan...…...so much that through time and vibration of the engine, debris wearing a pin hole in the pan. Hoses flexing against the pan does this also.

  4. #4dennis sanders2019-04-03 10:34

    Thanks Vetech63..I am hoping this is the case...pans need a good cleaning anyway...I will post back and let you know what I find down under.

  5. #5dennis sanders2019-04-03 10:37

    I did pull the oil plug cover yesterday and its packed with dirt ...could tell it's been there a while..all dirt and no rock..cant be from eastern okla..lol

  6. #6dennis sanders2019-04-03 20:16

    Dropped both pans and found the culprit..torque converter oil line going to the radiator..pans needed to come down because they were full...now just gotta get the right wrench to get the line off at the radiator..11/4 tad bit small. Thanks Vetech63 for the suggestion..

  7. #7Nige2019-04-04 09:50

    After removing all the debris from the belly guards you may well find that the engine and powertrain run a tad cooler afterwards when air can actually flow around them............

  8. #8dennis sanders2019-04-04 23:17

    You're right on the money..it is running cooler...that muck was acting as a blanket of insulation.

  9. #9dennis sanders2019-04-04 23:20

    I havent been on the site in quite sometime..last time I was I recall not seeing you..glad to see you back...lot of wisdom.

  10. #10Nige2019-04-05 04:34

    School of hard knocks. Within the past year to my knowledge we've replaced at least two D6 oil pans where the belly guards were full of solidified mud and the tractor then hit a rock of a sufficiently significant size to crack the oil pan. You have been warned............

  11. #11dennis sanders2019-04-05 12:10
  12. #12dennis sanders2019-04-05 12:17

    I was sweatin it when I dropped the front pan...afraid of what I was going to find...it wasnt as bad as the rear pan under the transmission..I found a couple of wrenches that weren't mine so it had been a while since it was down. Warning is recieved.