Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1983 CASE 580 Super E?

rballison9 ยท 2012-08-07 21:25

I'm looking at a 1983 580 Super E that needs some work. I have not seen the tractor yet, but it has the enclosed cab. What is this machine worth, avg retail? Is there a blue book of equipment values? How much will it cost to replace all the glass? Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1truckdoctor2012-08-07 21:59

    A good place to start looking at prices is Machinery Trader or Rock and Dirt. Machinery Trader seems to be on the high side sometimes but it can give you a rough idea. Craigslist might be a little closer to reality depending on if the person is living in reality as far as the price goes. Another place to look is auction results on Ritchie Bros. When you price check just make sure the hours and machine condition are similar to what your looking at. Dealers on an average are going to be high for the most part. The glass issue I have no idea how much the glass would cost to replace but I know from experience that it is cheaper to have replacement windows cut by a local glass company than to buy them new from the dealer. If there is curved or formed glass you will probably have to buy it from the dealer.

  2. #2ScottAR2012-08-08 00:40

    The rear sliding glass are $372 apiece from the dealer... The rest would depend on size and locality. The E has basicly the same cab as my 580D.

  3. #3syndy2012-08-09 20:04

    I bought an 83-84 SE a year ago and paid $8200. (no inclosed cab) It has 3700 hrs on it and was/is in good running condition. I replace a couple of hoses and am doing a seal on the right brake. I was lucky I guess, bought it sight unseen.

  4. #4Bill Smith2012-08-10 07:04

    I just sold my super E for 12grand It had 9000 hrs on it Complete enclosed cab All new hoses all cylinders re packed new paint new tires new decals She was in great condition and looked good (BUT) It was still an old machine .I would say Syndy's machine for its age shows somewhat of very low hours for its age but they are out there .I worry more about torque converter shuttle issues than any other thing on this machine.

  5. #5syndy2012-08-10 20:20

    It's nice to know these things seem to hold their value, mine will be up for sale in a couple of years when I finish building my home.