I have a John Deere 310B with no enclosed cab. I am having starting issues. Sometimes the starter clicks but will not engage. The starter has been off and checked 3 times have been told bad ground ground as the latest thing to try, took it off and it appears to fine. Went to local Deere deader for check on price and availability he agreed that looks fine and says it probably is the starter relay not solenoid. I found a wiring diagram on this page but can find it on the diagram or on the machine. I'm looking for the exact location of the relay if I fact mine has one.
Looking at a cable will not tell if it is damaged in the middle some times. Need to test with a multimeter with current flowing through it to see how it handles the load. Did you test anything with a multimeter, just asking. Simon C
Have not tested the cable. Have checked must everything else and seems ok. It seems like voltage drop when push button pushed. From what read it sounds like it could be starter relay, which I can not locate.
Maybe someone will post a picture of the electrical schematic, and then we can easily figure it out. Meantime if you put your hand on the starter solenoid, if someone else turns the key on an pushes the start button and holds it there for lets say 5 seconds, do you feel the the solenoid go clunk. If not you have a control problem and no need to pull starter off again . Put a red meter lead on the battery positive and stab the push botton with the black meter lead on the (non-energized side when sitting idle) and now push it down and hold for 5 seconds. What does meter read? Will have to see schematic to see if you have a neutral safety switch or relay that controls the power to starter switching terminal. Simon C
This is a really good reason, I make sure, within reason, that I try and have all service, operators and parts manuals, for anything I own. It’s a good investment for working on said equipment and on resale. For some reason I have about 5 or 6 HD manuals and not the crappy Clymer manuals for bikes I don’t own anymore. That reminds me, I need to post them up for sale, this spring. Great for Diesel money. Lol Electric problems always seem daunting but when you learn how to read a schematic, it’s actually pretty easy.
This wiring link is the one I am using posted by Larry H on this forum back on 1/27/2015. Like I said before the parts catalogue says there is a starter relay on this machine but can not find it. HeavyEquipmentForums
I don’t see a relay.
@Genechief , You have a machine serial # ?
Here are the serial #s
Just went through your schematic that was posted, unless if the schematic above is wrong, you have a 24Volt starter. The key switch has an Ignition terminal, that feeds a push button, that feeds a neutral safety switch, that powers the switching terminal on the starter. As Happy Harley says there is no Start Relay. Cannot say if this is correct or if someone has modified your system somehow. Put one of each of your meter leads on your push button switch with the key turned onto the Ignition Terminal. Push on the Push Button Switch and what happens on meter while you hold it there for 5 seconds. If the solenoid does not kick in then there is either no power feeding the push button or a problem after the push button. After the push button the power goes through a neutral safety switch that is somewhere down below most likely on the side of transmission. It will have 2 wires that if joined together will by-pass the safety system. If you do that for a test, then put back before someone innocent gets killed. If you run a wire from the non powered side of the Push Button Switch to the Switching terminal of the Starter Solenoid, when you push down on the push button , then you will have it cranking. If your key switch is too weak you will have more than 0.5 volts loss with the meter leads on the Key Switch Battery terminal and the other meter lead on the Ignition Terminal while pushin down and holding the Push Button. You may have more than 1 item that is worn out causing the problem. Better take a picture of this with your phone and bring to the machine with you. Any questions fire away. Simon C
Simon I thank you for the info.I will try and get to the neural safety switch. I can see it but will need to take the seat and middle floor board to get to it. The starter is 12 volts 2 6volt batteries in series. Both are within 2 years old and both test good. Again thanks again and will keep you posted. It supposed to warm up here and wind stop so I can stay outside longer.
Sorry my oops. I just seen the batteries in series and assumed it was 24 volts, and forgot that they used 6 volt batteries back in the day. The testing will still be the same. Simon C
Update!I had another set of eyes come over yesterday and he found the problem with the positive cable from the battery to the starter. After removing the cable and having a new end crimped on it starts fine. I did have that cable off a few times but never examined it that closely.I guess Inlearnedca lesson
Glad you figured it out. In post #2, I said that the cables needed to be tested with a meter while flowing current as you cannot tell by looking all the time. I was correct. Thanks Simon C
You owe us all virtual beer.