Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1986 f700 8.2 DD Jake brake?

Maxcavator ยท 2019-01-23 21:14

Wondering if there is a jake brake out there for an 8.2. or anything of the sort that would work on my truck. It has juice brakes. I honestly am not sure if it has a tubo. I feel like a bad truck owner. Haven't had it long though. I don't think I've heard it though. I live at the top of a big hill and I plan to haul my Hitachi 70 with it. Thanks.

Replies7
  1. #1RZucker2019-01-23 21:38

    No jakes for the 8.2. If it does have a turbo it will be low mounted at the rear between the heads. If no turbo it's only got like 149 HP. I know, I've owned 3 in service trucks, it wasn't a bad engine for 20,000 lbs or less.

  2. #2Maxcavator2019-01-23 21:45

    20,000 lbs including the truck? I think I'll end up more like 36000.. Am I dreaming? its just the one hill really. I cna just put it in 1-2 low and crawl up?

  3. #3AzIron2019-01-23 21:57

    I have only driven one truck with that motor tho we had one back when i was little in a Bob tail dump truck they are similar to a 3208 or a dt 466 in performance Dad owned that dump truck for 4 or 5 years it hauled a backhoe every day without an issue till it rolled a cam bearing they get the job done on flat ground not sure about hills tho

  4. #4Birken Vogt2019-01-23 22:24

    They put that terrible motor in all kinds of heavy trucks and they worked, for a while. They were very slow. Modern expectations of power will have you thinking super slow. They break down more than their share. As for Jakes, of course real Jakes not available. We had one that got a reman motor put in and came back with an exhaust brake installed. It made a noise when applied but you could not feel it holding back at all. Hard to find mechanics that know it or have the special rack setting gear I am told. It has been almost 15 years since I laid eyes on one and hard to find anyone who knew how to fix them even back then. Put it in ultra low gear, so low you don't need brakes and don't over-rev and see how slow that really is. Slow.

  5. #5Tugger22019-01-23 22:42

    Ive heard theres better exhaust brakes out there now. I just sold my truck with the 8.2 so its no issue now. My 2015 F350 has an awsome exhaust brake on it so they must be available somewhere for an 8.2 as well .

  6. #6RZucker2019-01-23 22:52

    A very odd engine to tune, each injector had it's own special setting, needing a special dial indicator to set them to the sticker on the rocker cover that had usually been washed off long ago. Each engine was different. Why? I don't know.

  7. #7Birken Vogt2019-01-23 22:58

    As far as I know, exhaust brake force is limited by exhaust valve strength depending on the specific engine. In the late 1990s manufacturers really started to beef up their exhaust valve springs to work with some pretty strong exhaust brakes but back in the 1980s none of this was thought of. Apparently trucks did not go down hills back then. So you are limited by whatever back pressure is safe for the particular motor, which for the 8.2, was not very much. You can restrict the exhaust more at your own peril. It will hold back better and better, right up to the point that the engine comes unraveled.