Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1986 JD 310C cranks but wont start

BDrd4x4 ยท 2015-02-27 16:59

Hi, Here is what I got going on...any help will be greatly appreciated! White smoke out of exhaust while cranking. 12V to shut off solenoid and can here it clicking. With pump top cover off engine starts at WOT and shuts off when I return throttle to idle. Constant flow of fuel draining from return line when disconnected. no sign of rust or debris when top cover was removed. Just full of fuel. Got a lot of snow I'd like to clear and the machine to do it...if I could only get it started. Thanks again!

Replies7
  1. #1td15c2015-02-27 17:37

    just a thought is it possible you have a air obstruction

  2. #2Deon2015-02-27 19:06

    Did you just purchase this machine? Are you normally able to start it in its cold temperature? Do you have a block heater plugged in? Does the engine crank fast enough? I had same problem last week due to bad starter. Was cranking too slow.

  3. #3Delmer2015-02-27 19:49

    That sounds like the governor or rack or whatever is sticking, if it starts (maybe even revs above normal governed speed?) and then sticks in the no fuel position too long when the engine slows down. I'm assuming this hasn't been used regularly?

  4. #4BDrd4x42015-02-27 19:56

    Ive had the machine for close to two years. No block heater, but has always fired even when cold with a small blast of start fluid. Brand new starter and fully charged batteries.

  5. #5BDrd4x42015-02-27 20:06

    It hasnt been run in about two months.

  6. #6BDrd4x42015-02-28 11:17

    Why would the machine start up and run with the pump top cover off, but not run with it on. The solenoid checked out fine when removed and supplying 12v, im wondering if it is weak.

  7. #7Delmer2015-02-28 17:12

    If I knew I'd tell you, but I can't explain it. The white smoke when cranking is the fuel mist so it should start. You can disconnect the wire to the solenoid and crank it, should be no smoke after the first couple of revolutions. If you've had the cover off already there's nothing to lose by moving all the linkages inside to make sure they're free.