Hello I have starter drive not engaging on a UTB 650 tractor,Its a huge looking starter to turn 4 cyl diesel probably the original starter,I have taken it to a electrical rebuild shop and the guy cant seem to find a replacement so he managed to take the drive apart and clean the rollers and ramps but it takes many tries to get it to turn the engine.I am asking If anybody here is familiar with this tractor enough to give a replacement number for a new drive or complete starter.Thanks
Are there any numbers on your starter that would help identify it ? Not sure this is the one you are looking for, but here is one for $ 1150.00 US currency. Good grief !! http://www.importtractorparts.net/fiatstarter.html Scroll down to about the middle of the page.
Have you tried looking at parts for a Long tractor? I some of the Long brand tractors were UTBs, but I don't know if they sold the 650, or what they called it if they did. I know some of the Long/UTBs could be a bear to get certain parts for, but you could. It's the same Long manufacturing that made the tobacco equipment, headquartered in NC.
May be more than one kind of UTB 650 universal tractor. I found a lot of info on UTBs made in Romania. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/002/3/2/2326-utbuniversal-650.html and https://www.google.com/search?q=tra...r_Universal_650M_in_winter_2011.jpg;1600;1200
The Long brand tractors were all rebranded imports. One series were rebranded UTBs from Romania, the other series was some thing else, I forget what, rebranded.
I had good enough luck one time sanding the "ramps and rollers" and whatever the center piece was to give them some grip. That was an old Yamaha though... Maybe try some lighter grease or oil even, or maybe they're supposed to be dry? The "jerk" start seems important to get them to work right, so make sure the rest of the starter system is up to snuff, batteries, cables, connections, solenoid.
Hello and Thanks to all that offered such a quick reply,I have tried most of the suggestions such as the starter numbers and trying to find an exact model,From what I was told is that these tractors were built with many different components depending on what was available during production,For example mine has a different shift pattern than what is stamped on the top tranny cover and so on with other components so its really difficult if to order on line to know what your ordering is going to fit ,The numbers on the starter led the starter rebuild shop to a dead end and he was in rebuilding starters for years,I may try cleaning the drive ramps again as the electricial part seems ok although it does not turn fast maybe that why the drive does not catch,maybe its suppose to crank on 24v a lot of maybes!I have no manual and I am not sure if it was 24v if 12 would even turn it over,Thanks for all the suggestions at least it has reconformed what I have tried so far.
I feel your pain. There are still a few Long/UTBs around here. There used to be a lot of them, but when Long went out of business it became a big hassle to figure out what you had . What you said about them being made out of whatever parts showed up at the factory sounds about right.
The rebuilder that worked on should be able to tell you if it is 12 or 24 volt starter. If it is a 24 volt that may be where the problem is if it isn't getting the full 24 volts.
Hello to All...Just an update on the starter search,I did find a dealer that can get me a starter at a cost of aprox 1,300 dollars thats shipped to me,He said he's never seen an aftermarket starter for the 650 i guess he must get them from romania where it was built,I think i will try sanding the ramps on the drive again and see if it will improve the engagement.Thanks for all the post this forum is a great knowledge base to have at ones finger tips.By for now.
I'd try finding someone with a glass bead cabinet to use on the ramps and rollers to see if that helps. But you would have to be able to it apart enough to not have only beads get it to places that it shouldn't!
Ok sounds good.After blasting should the ramps be greased or let dry?
I'm not familiar with this starter but from your description it sounds like this drive has an overrunning clutch with these rollers in it. Some times called a sprag clutch. Unless this drive runs in oil I'd be tempted to try assembling it dry. Do a Google search on "Sprag Clutch" and you can see various versions of them.
What year is this tractor build, does this have a original romanov or a Fiat engine
It is a romanov 4cyl diesel its year is prob 1970