Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1986 Mitsubishi 120-8 with Mitsu 6D14 6cyl diesel

IAMVANDEMON · 2013-07-13 21:35

Hello forum! Just bought my first excavator. I've been lurking and searching. mattyc5094 has been a huge help as he has the same machine. Engine sounds really good. Opened up the valve cover and very clean. drained the oil and it looked and smelled very good. Plenty of water in the fuel tank and filter though. Water pump was shot and badly rusted inside. Gonna try and re-machine the shaft and see it a re-build won't take. Hydraulics seem strong and valves working. Fluid is in sore need of changing due to water contamination and 2 out of 4 rams are leaking. All the scrapers are rotted off so I'll be re-building all 4. Planning to clean and flush the entire system before everything is said and done, and hopefully will conclude in a strong and reliable hydraulic system. The tracks on the right side are in very poor shape. Many of the plates are bent and the track binds regularly while turning (not yet sure exactly why). Can track plates be straitened out? Everything else is minor; twisted steel, torn weather stripping, foggy plexy-glass, rust, and worn paint. Well, I just wanted to start this thread to introduce myself and have a place to ask any questions I might end up having. Thanks Van

Replies21
  1. #1IAMVANDEMON2013-07-13 22:50

    Question #1: Can track plates (shoes) be straitened out?

  2. #2IAMVANDEMON2013-07-13 22:55

    Question #2: Does anyone know what hydraulic pump, valve set, swing motor, and drive motor a 1987/88 Caterpillar E120 S:539000 has??

  3. #3IAMVANDEMON2013-07-14 13:57

    MITSUBISHI MS 120-8 SERIAL #9053 13TONS - ENGINE MITSUBISHI 6D14 85hp @ 412 ft/lbs - DAIKIN HYDRAULIC PISTON PUMP MODEL VXD70-1HN-G - SHIBAURA VALVE BLOCK C854-20000 - KAWASAKI SWING MOTOR MODEL # MX80CA-11A-01/220 - KYABA FINAL DRIVE MAF 60KP-JN-W - HYDRAULIC RAMS: BUCKET 65MM C830-5646; ARM 80MM C620-5655; BOOM 75MM C810-56141/C810-56138, TRACK PITCH 171.45 43LINKS Shoes 25”x 7 3/8” 6 ¾ pitch.

  4. #4IAMVANDEMON2013-07-18 22:11

    What is this and what does it do?

  5. #5lantraxco2013-07-19 01:38

    If they can bend, they can be straightened. May crack or break in the process. Heat and a hydraulic press are indicated, but it may not be worth all the time and effort.

  6. #6lantraxco2013-07-19 01:40

    Looks to me like an accumulator, think of it as a shock absorber for a hydraulic circuit. Not sure what it's plumbed into.

  7. #7Supertoy2013-07-19 06:45

    I ve a ms120 too where are you guys getting parts from?

  8. #8IAMVANDEMON2013-07-20 09:27

    Thanks Ian. That's what I was thinking but not sure.

  9. #9IAMVANDEMON2015-09-17 00:05

    Well.... I finally got around to getting some work done on this thing. I did rebuild the water pump and fixed a few of the small things. Then I tackled the hydraulics. It took some effort to break these guys loose.

  10. #10IAMVANDEMON2015-09-17 00:34

    Try this again Most of the seals were completely gone in little pieces.

  11. #11IAMVANDEMON2015-09-17 00:42

    I hung the hoist from the rafters and build this roller thingy to make assembly easier. and finally after 2 years it runs and works.

  12. #12IAMVANDEMON2015-09-17 00:44

    Used up some old paint I had lying around... 'New Holland Yellow' aka safety yellow. I do feel safer

  13. #13IAMVANDEMON2015-09-17 00:47

    Replaced the teeth.. maybe someone here could explain this to me, why do so many people ruin the adapters on a good bucket by not changing out the worn teeth. Seems digging would get kinda hard after a while, plus what the hell?

  14. #14bindian2015-10-31 13:41

    Thanks for that idea on rebuilding cylinders. I'll remember that when mine start leaking.I recently bought the little brother to yours. A Cat E70B. Photos look identical. I have rebuilt my backhoe's cylinders, but can do those by hand with two people. hugs, Brandi

  15. #15domsant172016-02-05 22:02

    it is a accumulator of pilot system!

  16. #16IAMVANDEMON2016-02-06 12:40

    Yes you are right thanks. I bought the repair manual (CAT E120 1LF) for this machine and have been reading over it and learning tons about the operation, design, and everything I've done wrong so far. Cheers Van

  17. #17Coastiebro2016-02-09 03:21

    All cat dealers can get parts, just some parts guys get a bit grumpy when you ask for Mitisubushi MS parts. They were a good machine in their day.

  18. #18lantraxco2016-02-09 12:20

    It's rare enough to get parts requests for the Mitsi or Catabishi excavators that most of the newer parts guys have never heard of them and will just tell you no. The CAT dealer I used to work for, I have to ask for one of the guys I worked with that still know how to look up and cross the Mitsi numbers over to CAT. Source code 84, MHI.

  19. #19IAMVANDEMON2016-03-08 22:07

    Yes, that has been my experience also. If you talk to the right parts guy, suddenly parts are not hard to find at all... other guys, not so much.

  20. #20IAMVANDEMON2016-03-08 22:17

    I'm now working on replacing all the rollers, and not to far down the road the track pins and bushings. I'm looking at importing them myself just to see how it all goes, and maybe even save a dollar or two. If anyone has some free advise to give i'll read it. In the meantime I've been dreaming about a hydraulic thumb installation. As stupid as it may sound the only confusing part to me is the control for it. I've never seen one, so I don't understand how most/the best way to run one. Is there some kind of aftermarket joystick that can be installed with an additional controller or some sort to run a thumb. I did read something about a foot peddle, but couldn't find a source to buy one...I googled for more answers, but I cant find what i'm looking for, so if anyone is bored enough to explain all things thumb related I'd appreciate it. Cheers Van

  21. #21IAMVANDEMON2016-03-08 22:33

    Except for the how do you control it question, I just read the current thread about thumbs so sorry for that.