Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1988 case 580k steering

fasstang65 ยท 2009-10-17 01:31

I have a 1988 case 580k and have found that when driving on the road it has a lot of play in the steering. It is bad enough where you have to keep turning the wheel back and forth to keep it on the road. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment i can make on a worm gear or somewhere else to take up some of this play. Thanks for any help. Dave

Replies3
  1. #1Goose2009-10-17 11:24

    There is no mechanical linkage in the steering on your machine it is all hydraulic. It sound like your steering cylinder is leaking past at the piston. The cylinder is on the backside of the front axle. It is a single cylinder with a rod on each end and the piston in the middle. The rods connect to the spindles to turn the front wheels.

  2. #2bill onthehill2009-10-17 16:16

    I was just trying to look at mine in the slop and snow. I do not see any gearbox unless it is under the floor plate. I would think the steering wheel just works a valve body and lets fluid go to the steering cylinder. May be some check valves in the valve leaking. How loose are your knuckles on the ends? If they have a lot of play it might lead to your problem. Have someone turn the wheel while you watch the ends for movement.

  3. #3fasstang652009-10-17 17:23

    Thanks for the help once again. This gives me a place to start!