I'm working some NC mountain lots. I've been using a small 24 HP skid steer and have got more done than expected. But it would be sure would be nice to get something bigger (and wider). My question is if a heavy unit will have less traction backing uphill than what I'm getting on the much lighter mini skid steer? I don't have any business on steeper stuff, but I can't get by with any less traction. Thanks for any insight!
if you are working mountain lots keep in mind center of gravity also. sometimes i use a dingo just because if it goes i can jump off.
I too work in the mountains... Southern California, around 6,000 feet, and in very loose, dry soil. Traction seems to dissapear regardless of the type and size of machine you use. They may all begin to slip around the same spot if given a relatively equal ground pressure rating, but the larger machines get more done in the same time. I've used the larger CTLs, such as the CAT 287B and such, and have been fairly happy with them. However, I'm not very familiar with other machines, such as skidders. It's true that you need to be quite wary of the center of gravity, but common sense, self-preservation, practice, and experience ought to help out there. I have used the CAT type tracked loaders to drag my chipper (about 5,000 pounds) into areas to broadcast chips, and that takes a lot of power and firm soil. The machines never fail because of power, but instead because of soil failure. It just gives way and digs you in deeply if you're not careful. I have used a portable hydraulic winch to pull both the CAT and chipper uphill, with the CAT helping as much as it could. I don't recommend it if you can find another way, because it takes too much time. Bottom line: Bigger machine, more productivity. Maybe not easier access, though.