Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1988 CAT 307 Cylinder rod locknut removal question

Jon Martin · 2023-08-19 21:51

Hi folks. This is the stick cylinder from a 1988 CAT 307 SSR. I have the rod out and the lock nut loosened. I've searched every forum and video I can find and and I don't see any cylinder that looks the same as this one where there is a sleeve that needs to be removed before the locknut can be fully turned off. Does anyone know what this sleeve is and how to remove it? It looks like it might be being retained in place by a type of snap ring at the end of the rod. Thanks!

Replies20
  1. #1Chrisso2023-08-20 02:04

    It's called a stop and yes it'll have a snap ring in there somewhere. I'm guessing this bit... From another angle will look a bit like this bit... And in the groove bit you'll have this bit... If I'm wrong please post your serial number.

  2. #2Nige2023-08-20 07:18

    An illustration of a 307 stick cylinder I picked at random. #3 is the snap ring that holds a retaining ring #26 in place. That in turns holds the Stop #4. There are also two snap rings #25 behind the stop. The disassembly instructions for that part of the cylinder simply state "Remove retaining ring (2), ring (3), stop (4) and two retaining rings (25) from the end of the rod assembly."

  3. #3Jon Martin2023-08-20 14:54

    Hi Chrisso and Nige, thanks for your quick responses! My serial number is 2FL00541 and attached is another close up photo where you can see the snap ring but it isn't the type that you can put snap ring pliers into - probably like the diagram from Nige? Do either of you know how to get that ring out without damaging anything?

  4. #4Jon Martin2023-08-20 15:02

    Here's the photo

  5. #5Jon Martin2023-08-20 15:40

    It's apart - easy once I knew what to look for, thanks!

  6. #6Jon Martin2023-08-20 15:47

    My next challenge is finding a seal kit - stick cylinder, serial # 2FL00541. Finning Canada says they are not in stock for this vintage (I didn't think 1988 was that old for an excavator) and it will be minimum 4-6 weeks after submitting a request for a production run. Grizzly seals in Vancouver say they are 80% sure they will have all they bits. Any further ideas?

  7. #7Nige2023-08-20 18:05

    There was a seal kit listed I think. I’ll have to look for the Part Number.

  8. #8Chrisso2023-08-20 18:23

    Finning Canada did well to find a seal kit p/n. Got nothing here. Japan market machine. Although there are a couple of possibilities. Jon are there any part numbers on the cylinder barrel, piston or head assemblies?

  9. #9Chrisso2023-08-20 18:27

    The other thing is what does the ID of the barrel look like? Scored? Or was the cylinder just leaking?

  10. #10Nige2023-08-20 18:28

    IIRC the ISJ grey-market 2FL machine crosses to the OSJ 2WM. (SEPD1884 info for the 307 is wrong BTW) Chrisso’s right though. The best way to get cylinder parts/repair info is if there is a tag on the barrel with a Part Number. It’s late here so I will go digging in the morning.

  11. #11Nige2023-08-21 06:18

    Jon, the best advice I can give you for this grey market machine is to get yourself a copy of the original Japanese Parts Manual for it. That way you can go to Finning with Part Numbers which would make it far easier for all concerned. You can download an Adobe pdf copy for US$124 from Cat Publications HERE . Simply type XJBP7178 in the box and click the Search button. This is what should pop up.

  12. #12Jon Martin2023-08-21 11:48

    Thanks for the link to the parts manual. I just came across an interesting older thread about the grey market 307 SSR ( HeavyEquipmentForums ) where one member suggests that these may be mistubishi cylinders. At any rate I can't find any numbers on the barrel - where would the number or tag normally be? BTW the cylinder diagram from Nige is almost the same as my cylinder except mine didn't have the two #25 snap rings - and no grooves for them either so they aren't missing I believe the barrel ID is in good shape. I have all of the seals out now except what is labelled #23 on Nige's diagram (photo attached), which is more like a pair with one rubber seal under a ring (which isn't split like all the others unless I'm just not seeing the split) and has two plastic split rings on either side of it - does this piece need to be pressed apart to get these seals out?

  13. #13Nige2023-08-21 12:59

    They will be. The Japanese-market machines were built as part of the Cat-Mitsubishi alliance. Normally spot-welded or stamped on the outside of the barrel not far from the head. No. Get a big long screwdriver under it and pry it off. The new seal goes on better if you soak it in boiling water before attemtping to install it. I found three different Part Numbers of stick cylinder. They are all pretty similar but not exactly identical. Check the attachment and see if you can figure out which one is yours. If you can't then the only option is to get a kosher Parts Manual for your Serial Number from the link I posted earlier.

  14. #14Jon Martin2023-08-21 14:13

    Thanks! BWT Finning Canada told me part number 375-4892 for a seal kit (that they don't have in stock)

  15. #15Nige2023-08-21 15:02

    The parts listing I attached above all show 108-8333 as the seal kit which updates to 169-7895. The only difference between the two kit part numbers is the wiper seal for the head. 375-4892 for me is listed as a Seal Kit for a hydraulic hammer P/N 375-4887 so unless Finning know something I don't - I don't f'kin think so............

  16. #16Nige2023-08-21 16:43

    Sorry, a typo in the post above. The correct seal kit Part Number is 103-8333.

  17. #17Chrisso2023-08-23 08:48

    Well there's plenty of them around.

  18. #18Jon Martin2023-08-23 10:42

    I have 169-7895 on the way from Grizzly seals in Vancouver - we'll soon see if it's all correct.

  19. #19Nige2023-08-23 11:13

    I would suspect so but would not guarantee it 100%. You really need to get yourself a Parts Manual for it. Your excavator is very unusual in that there is no "crossover" model that was made for the Rest of the World that can be used to obtain parts information from Cat's online system. If you buy one I guarantee it will be the best $100-odd bucks you'll ever spend.

  20. #20Jon Martin2023-09-02 15:18

    All done, back up and running. The 169-7895 seal kit had everything it needed. The only difficulty I had was getting the bushing out of the inside of the gland nut - I wound up sawing a slit with a hack saw blade (painfully slow being very careful not to knick anything) after which I could pry it out. Needed hydraulic press to push the new one in. Many thanks again for your assistance!