Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1988 D4H Weak 2nd and no 3rd gear

PEYTONT · 2026-05-04 11:44

I checked the tranny level all good. Still pushes well in 1st. Barely moves in 2nd. 3rd gear gives me nothing. Is there anything else that is simple to check before I start looking at the transmission?

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2026-05-04 11:50

    Does the transmission oil appear to be clear and bright or is it dark and opaque.? Does it smell burned.? When was the oil and filter last changed.? Do you have any 500 or 600psi pressure gauges.? Post a Serial Number please.

  2. #2PEYTONT2026-05-04 12:08

    8PB02275 I've got the cat maint and service manuals. What's the best way to check the color, off the dipstick? I don't smell anything unusual while running. No clue when the last filter and tranny oil was changed. I don't have the gauges but I can get what I need, just let me know where.

  3. #3Nige2026-05-04 12:25

    Excellent that you have the manuals, especially the service manual. You could check oil colour from the dipstick or even open up the transmission filter housing for a look. Regarding smell i was asking what the oil smells like. Take a whiff at the end of the dipstick. That's worrying. Maybe a good idea is drain the oil now and take a look at it, but don't throw it away just yet. At the same time you could cut the old filter open and inspect it, and lastly remove and inspect the magnetic filter/screen assembly on the transmission suction side. The O&M section in the service manual will tell you how. An accumulation of burned particles in that screen could be bad news. Leave the pressure gauges for now. There's lots to do before it gets to that point.

  4. #4heymccall2026-05-04 12:28

    I went thru this with my 8pb. The pedals aren't fully returning up. The needle bearings on the pedal pivots need replaced.

  5. #5PEYTONT2026-05-04 15:03

    I'll drain the oil and look at the filter/screen. I'll send pics. I probably won't be back to the ranch for a couple weeks, I'll knock it out then. Thank you for your help.

  6. #6Nige2026-05-04 15:40

    Try what @heymccall suggested first. It's much less invasive. If the bearings check out OK then move on to everything else.

  7. #7pittsburgh cat man2026-05-04 16:32

    I got to thinking about this and the resonator popped into my head the bore in 21 gets worn out it’s screwed into cover on rear of transmission on the inside also I remember a update on it