I have a D5K and I also have a couple Spectra LR50 receivers that I want to mount to the blade with a mast. The blade does not have the factory mounted base plate that I see on many dozers. What is the best way to mount a receiver mast? What should I use for the mast? I would like to have the mast be high enough to clear the cab to allow me to change directions without laser relocation.
We welded a square tube to a dozer blade that had T handle bolts threaded into one corner then dropped a heavy pipe into that. The T handle bolts allowed us to lower or remove the pipe when not needed and allowed some fine adjustments from ground level
Sell the D5K and buy a next Gen D3 with 2D. The 2D system pretty much eliminates the masts, receivers and laser. I am being tongue in check of course however the 2D system is pretty impressive for pads and simple slopes.
Thanks Mike. I may have found something similar (see photo) from Benchmark Tool. Is this similar to what you have? Can you show us a photo? Right now I'm trying to determine how to mount it (vertically, or horizontally). They are labeled as "Mounting Bracket for L Pole". I have yet to see an "L Pole" on their site, but I feel as though I've seen receiver masts that have had a bend in them, giving them the rough shape of an "L". I think that I would prefer to mount them vertically so that I could have a mast length that would extend above the cab. I'm not sure how well things will hold up without any sort of rubber damper/isolation like what I've seen with OEM mast mounts from CAT.
I get the "tongue in cheek" component to your comment. I would certainly like to do just that, but can't really justify owning a dozer that only cost me $70k vs what I'm guessing would be $200k. I am curious, however, to find out how you are getting away with no mast. As I recall, even 3D systems require a mast on dozers (and short ones on the counter weight of excavators too). I can see how a 3D system could have the antenna mounted to the cab, but I thought 2D relied on catching a laser. If your 2D system is relying on the same base station, rover, etc. that 3D does, that $200k guess is probably low by about $100k!
When I ordered an LR50 receiver, I ordered the package that had a dozer mast in it, called a DM-20. The mount I made for it is just a flat piece of 3/4” steel with four holes cut in it, and welded it to a bucket.
That's very similar to what we created. We welded a 24" +/- section of square tubing upright on the back center of the blade and dropped a 6-8 foot section of 1½" heavy wall pipe into it. That was enough to clear the cab and provide some adjustment. The laser receiver clamped to the pipe anywhere along the length of the pipe although we usually had it high enough to clear the cab I'm sorry I don't have any photos. That machine was about 5 or 6 machines ago... As far as the isolators, we didn't use any, just relied on the flex in the pipe. We pulled everything out of the scrap pile... It worked for us for about 5 years without any problems.
No our full auto GPS D3 has no masts just receivers on the cab. Our 325 auto GPS does have small masts on the counter weight. 2D might not be the correct term for what the D3 has however the operator can blade a level spot out, zero the dozer, set a grade and the machine will hold that grade for miles. This is accomplished with sensors and gyro's integrated into the machine. No laser, total station or base station needed. Built this pad using the "2D" system in the machine. There was no 3D grading model created for this just used the dozer's 2D components. A couple of years ago we did the site work for the building on the right which we had a 3D grading model built for. The guys were able to find 3 of the original control points so they were able to use the original 3D model to reference elevations with the rover. With no model for this lot they used the 2D features on the D3 to grade the flat pad. For basic pads both flat and sloped the 2D tech is very handy and no mast or laser required. For the record I have around $210K in the D3 with full auto GPS - $160K for the dozer and $50K for the GPS add on. It's a 2021 model. The newer Cat iron I have priced with factory GPS is on average 50% less than adding GPS to the machine at the dealer.
Thanks for the explanation. I understand how it works clearly now. I did add a laser catch to my '21 Next Gen 325, but one can also "bench" the system on a hub, or known elevation, and then tell it what grade you want from that elevation (i.e. up a foot, down a foot, or level, etc.). One can also put X or Y axis slope as well (I'd guess that you know this already). The laser catch is my preferred way to "bench" the system because I can bench anywhere on the job, as opposed to always being within reach of a known elevation (such as a hub, etc.). All of this only works until you track the excavator (One will get all sorts of "MOVEMENT DETECTED" warnings if you engage the drive motors!). I'm sure this is the same as your 325NG. If that all works the same on your NG D3, and it carries grade even if you drive (or track), then why doesn't the 325 also carry the grade as it drives across the site too? At $160k for the dozer, if it comes with the "2D" system for that, that seems like a bargain. Especially if it has automation, or "assist" to keep it on grade. My 325NG was $274k back in '21. I can only imagine what it would today. As it relates to CAT "Grade Assist", I have yet to use it on my 325. Every time that I have tried, I just "fight" the system (I can't not pull only the one lever, I always try to operate it like i normally would). It's hard to over ride doing something that has been ingrained into my brain, just about all day, every day, for over 40 years. Maybe some day.
The 325 I bought in June of '23 with full auto GPS and third hydro line dealer installed was $355K. The GPS added around $70K over the price of the machine. This 325 only had a manual thumb and no bucket for reference. We swapped the coupler over from the 325FL traded in and kept the K series toothed buckets since the patent has expired and aftermarket is much cheaper than Cat OEM. The grade assist on the 325 is a neat tool but like you said when you move the machine you have to re-bench. The grade assist on the next gen dozers however is a pretty handy tool for basic pads and slopes.
My '21 325 came with coupler, 24" & 48" Extreme Duty buckets, the previously mentioned laser catch, and the extra heavy counter weight (18k# IIRC) as well. I had the mast mounts welded on the D5k today. Will be getting some 1.5" SCH80 steel pipe, for the masts, that will be delivered later this week.