Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1988 Hatachi 120 dosn’t want to steer

Clay Diger ยท 2014-07-15 22:36

My machine dosn't want to steer. It''s like there only half power. It's due for filter change. Butt I think I have bigger problems. It has 8000 hr on it. Runs great and all the functions work but not as fast as they use to be. Has any one had this problem before.

Replies5
  1. #1lantraxco2014-07-15 22:57

    If I'm not far off on the age of that machine, they had some small linkage rods from the valve controls back to stroke the two main pumps. If those are out of adjustment (don't ask me how, it was twenty plus years ago) it can cause all sorts of odd behavior. At 8,000 hours the pumps and/or travel motors may be tired too, and some of the relief valves may be down as well. Probably need some pressure and flow checks to see what's going on with the old girl.

  2. #2Clay Diger2014-07-17 10:09

    Thank you for your advice. Do you know a good mechanic in the Camas Wa. aera?

  3. #3Tones2014-07-17 17:41

    Its more than likely the seals in the centre joint are worn and need replacing plus doing a flow and pressure check on the pumps will help determine there condition. Adjusting the pump actuator rods may be the only fix required.

  4. #4lantraxco2014-07-17 17:51

    Yep, track issues are probably center joint seals, I must be getting old, lol. No, any of the mechanics I knew in that part of the woods either moved away or retired.

  5. #5Clay Diger2014-07-17 18:41

    I found the mechanic that rebuilt it 11 years ago. The first thing he said it was the center joint seals. He just cant get to it for a month or so. Thank you guys for all the help.